You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-19 19:33:36

KSiimson

Make SLiM set wallpaper

I am not sure how this happened, but on my other laptop SLiM sets the wallpaper for Openbox. On my new laptop, SLiM gets loaded from inittab, and once I am logged in, SLiM's wallpaper gets lost. Probably an easy problem, so hopefully I find out how to make my new laptop behave the same soon. big_smile

#2 2008-04-19 20:14:23

HyperBaton

Re: Make SLiM set wallpaper

I'm no expert in login managers etc., but why would the SLiM background be kept after logging in? It's a login manager after all. I use SLiM and Gnome, after I log in with SLiM, Gnome displays the background I want.

#3 2008-04-19 21:22:28

thayer
Fellow
Website

It isn't that slim set your background on your old laptop; it's because your old laptop must not have used any utilities to manage the desktop, so what happened is that the slim background got 'stuck' on your desktop because nothing else refreshed it.  My guess is that your new setup is running gnome-settings-daemon, or some other desktop utility which is now refreshing the desktop as soon as you log in.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by thayer (2008-04-19 21:24:41)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2008-04-19 21:28:27

Tenken

SLiM doesn't actually set your background, I think that the images just stays in the background unless you over ride it. I don't know if it does this on my openbox setup because I use another program to set my wallpaper, but when I was playing around with awesome the desktop kept SLiM's background. Maybe a newer version of SLiM or openbox changed this behavior.

#5 2008-04-19 21:34:41

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Nor SLiM or Openbox set your background smile. So get a utility to set one and the problem should disappear.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2008-04-20 00:20:41

theringmaster
Website

I think feh sets backgrounds, correct?

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#7 2008-04-20 01:27:52

KSiimson

Okay. I investigated my old laptop, and made SLiM run as a daemon and replaced openbox-session with openbox is .xinitrc. Then I put all the autostart applications in there. Also, I changed the inittab back to original. Now SLiM sets the background for me. smile

Last edited by KSiimson (2008-04-20 01:29:11)

#8 2008-04-20 02:46:53

thayer
Fellow
Website

KSiimson wrote:

Okay. I investigated my old laptop, and made SLiM run as a daemon and replaced openbox-session with openbox is .xinitrc. Then I put all the autostart applications in there. Also, I changed the inittab back to original. Now SLiM sets the background for me. smile

Well, I guess that's one way to go about it, but not exactly the proper way.  For the record, in case someone else stumbles onto this thread looking for a solution:

openbox-session, by default, will attempt to load the 'gnome-settings-daemon', which manages the desktop, including wallpaper.  This is controlled by the default Openbox autostart script: /etc/xdg/openbox/autostart.sh

To avoid these defaults, simply create your own openbox autostart script:

$ touch ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

Edit this file and add whatever programs you want to load at startup; for example:

$ cat .config/openbox/autostart.sh

# launch these with openbox-session
gnome-volume-manager &
numlockx &
xset r rate 250 50 &
xsetroot -solid black &
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr &
xbindkeys &
xscreensaver -no-splash &

If you ever want to load the default Openbox autostart settings, simply add this to your own autostart.sh:

. $GLOBALAUTOSTART

For example:

$ cat .config/openbox/autostart.sh

# Run the system-wide support stuff located in
# /etc/xdg/openbox/autostart.sh
. $GLOBALAUTOSTART

# launch these with openbox-session
gnome-volume-manager &
numlockx &
xset r rate 250 50 &
xsetroot -solid black &
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr &
xbindkeys &
xscreensaver -no-splash &

Last edited by thayer (2008-04-20 02:47:56)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#9 2008-04-20 08:24:44

zenlord
Website

theringmaster wrote:

I think feh sets backgrounds, correct?

Yep. PCmanFM also gets the job done (and is et the same time a very good, small filemanager)

Zl.

Board footer