You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-20 20:41:53

MillTek

Why will DVD play on one player but not another??

Hi,
I made an ISO file using devede and then burnt it to a DVD using K3B.  The finished DVD will work on a Magnavox player but not a JVC.  Is there anything I can do about this???  Do some players have a "must be produced commercially" filter or something???

Jim

Last edited by MillTek (2008-04-20 20:45:12)

#2 2008-04-20 21:19:56

Pudge
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: Why will DVD play on one player but not another??

First, I am assuming you recorded your iso on +R type media.  Next, I'm guessing that the player that won't play your DVD is the older of the two players.  Some DVD players, especially older ones don't like +R media.  If this is the case, here is a possible fix.

Here is a thread on another forum which discuses changing the booktype on your DVD burner.  Here is a quote from the original post:

There have been many questions asked about how to booktype +R media to DVD-ROM

Many standalone Players, HDD recorders/players and games consoles don't like +R media but they are happy enough to play -R or DVD-ROM.

Some drive brands have tools to change this option but others don't. I have found that the easiest way to change your BOOKTYPE setting is to use a small burning tool called IMGBurn which can be found doing a Google search.

Below you can see some screen shots which guide you through changing your BOOKTYPE setting. For this I have used my NEC4551 but IMGBurn supports NU-Tech, Plextor, Ricoh, Samsung, BenQ, LG, Lite-on and NEC.

Once you have changed your BOOKTYPE setting, when you burn a +R/+RW disc it will be burned as a DVD-ROM which is the same as a bought movie and most players are happy to play these.

Since my DVD players are happy with +R media, I haven't tried this.  Both of my players are fairly new, and I made sure that +R was listed on the box as one of the formats accepted by that player.

As usual, try this at your own risk.

Pudge

#3 2008-04-21 03:58:26

venox
Website

I've always had some trouble while playing DVD-Rs with less than ~3GB of data. Most of the time, I had to fill the DVD-Rs with dummy files to have 100% compatibility.

#4 2008-04-21 12:58:10

MillTek

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to play with the booktype setting.

Board footer