Website

Re: Dialup tool

Dusty wrote:

You could, of course, have posted it yourself. wink

well I did some editing tongue

#29 2004-05-31 11:12:40

mctavish

I'm using various scripts that I copied from a previous install of linux - setup originally by some dialer app - and just hacked into them where necessary.

Anyway, the point is that I have setup gkrellm to kick them off. It works very nicely. To connect all I have to do is hit the button on the ppp0 section of gkrellm. When I am connected the button turns green. Easy as. To disconnect, just hit the button again.

To set this up, under the net section / timer button page of gkrellm configuration choose the ppp0 interface and enter your start and stop commands, in my case sudo pon isp and sudo poff respectively.

#30 2004-06-01 05:42:33

sud_crow
Website

Hi all....

Well, im currently using WvDial and ive been doing it for almost a year now (since i have Arch i dont have KDE and i get 1 year of using Arch in July 21 --0.5 release date-- ).

After seeing this thread and the one about the second cd --extra one-- ( i dont participate much, but i read a lot...) im thinking in writing a WiKi for WvDial... i already wrote one to let users dial a while ago, i guess it needs a companion!...

Im a bit scarce on time, but i think i will manage to do it in a couple of days..

On the other hand i want to make a few comments about DIAL UP and keeping UP TO DATE.

i do not think that doing -Syu on a daily basis is the best thing for a dial up user (such as me and almost a year of experience with Arch and pacman).

Ive been pretty selective with the packages i update... mainly coz i have to pay for each hour i connect... so i cant be updating everything and right after is updated...

what i usually do is keeping base category up to date (but not cutting edge, i leave a pkg for a couple of days to see if there are any real problems/bugs with it...) and the rest gets priority based on my use of the pkg or its dependencies... i currently have 250 mb in updates since 0.6 was released and this is mainly because i dont have KDE nor Gnome installed... as this would increase the updates frecuency and size a LOT if you like to keep them up to date.

Also i have found that several combinations of wvdial, openssl, openssh, libgcrypt, ppp and wvstreams might fail, this has nothing to do with updating all at the same time, as there were updates for some pkgs and others were not updated for weeks...ive been tracking this until a couple of weeks, when finally the full set downloaded from the repos worked... (i had different kind of errors with different versions, from being disconected at random times to not finding the modem or not being able to connect at all, so i had to find a combination that would work, i was thinking in filing a bug report until i gived a "last" try for the hole pkg set named above and boila, worked)

Anyway, the thing is that WvDial is working right know with all its current dependencies (and not named dependecies --files named above-- and i think Dustys problem was a config problem... not big news here though smile

finally, i convinced my self im making that wiki guide smile
updates later!

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#31 2004-06-15 16:47:43

zeppelin
Website

because the one that was proposed really suck [tk gui is awful]
http://xisp.hellug.gr

the static binary works ok in AL

Board footer