You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-23 13:09:39

handy

[SOLVED] Locked out of Gnome?

I'm in the process of creating a dual boot installation by adding Arch to my 24" aluminium iMac.

I have installed the Xserver & the open source drivers for the ati gpu, amongst other things, that include most all of the Gnome/extras packages.

The problem that I am facing is that even though I can change accounts (root / normal user) prior to using gdm, both my user names/passwords are not recognised by the gdm login screen.

I can't work it out, so you can imagine how grateful I will be for any help that can get me to the next problem! ;-)

By the way, I followed the beginners guide for the install, it is only my 2nd Arch installation, & my first try with a Mac.

Last edited by handy (2008-10-17 07:01:08)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#2 2008-04-23 13:47:05

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: [SOLVED] Locked out of Gnome?

What happens if you startx from the shell?

#3 2008-04-23 23:43:12

handy

It makes no difference whether I attempt to access the Gnome DE, manually with startx or via gdm.  I have removed gdm from rc.conf to make it easier to access config files & such, so my attempts to access Gnome are via inputting gdm.

I just had a look in my normal user's /home & found nothing in there at all, no .xinitrc, so I created one, but it has made no difference.

I am beginning to wonder if the iMac's aluminium keyboard may somehow be the culprit, so I just swapped it for another USB board to no avail, I restarted X but it has made no difference either.

Perhaps I left out something important when I was installing Gnome & Gnome-Extra?  I surely didn't leave out much, & when I didn't know what it was I included it.

I'll check that out now.

[Edit:]  I installed all of Gnome & Gnome-Extra just to be sure I hadn't left anything important out.  Gnome still doesn't accept my logins?

Last edited by handy (2008-04-24 00:37:16)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
I'm over it!

#4 2008-04-24 01:49:04

handy

Ok, I just received a post on the Ubuntu forum which asked me to type in the following & see what happens:

xinit /usr/bin/gnome-session

This gave me my first gnome session. :-)

[Edit:]  Thanks Misfit138 for your posts both here & in the Ubuntu forum, your help is very much appreciated, you got me through the door. :-D

Now, does anyone know how I can appease gdm, so that I can login normally?

I would be happy to skip the gdm login screen altogether & go straight to a normal user gnome DE.

Last edited by handy (2008-04-24 04:54:29)

I'm over it!

#5 2008-04-24 02:48:49

hacosta

does your username/password contain any characters that gdm might have trouble understanding if your locales aren't set-up properly?

#6 2008-04-24 04:47:08

handy

Thanks for your reply.

I am pretty sure that my locale is right, & it is Australian english that uses the standard US keyboard keymap so I use a most common set of characters.

Last edited by handy (2008-04-24 04:56:43)

I'm over it!

#7 2008-04-24 07:06:52

handy

After just having set up sudo, I find that inside of Gnome, my root password does not work.

I can not use sudo or the root terminal for the same reason that I can not login to Gnome!?

do I have to scrap this install & start again?  I'm two days into this at this stage.

Last edited by handy (2008-04-24 07:07:38)

I'm over it!

#8 2008-04-29 02:50:21

handy

I have reinstalled Arch, & no longer have the password problem with Gnome. :-)

I am using an MS Digital Media Keyboard, instead of the aluminium iMac one which has no numlock key or as per the iMac, no LED's to indicate status.  I think that the iMac keyboard may very well have caused the confusion regarding my passwords which were numeric.  I will never know.

I also have Ctrl-Alt-Fkey ability now, which is certainly welcome.

I don't have the ability to use the keyboard to control screen brightness, which is solely keyboard controlled in the standard iMac build?

Also, sound does not work? 

When I can get sound to work, then Arch will be my computing home, until then I must boot OS X to deal with anything that makes a noise that I want to hear.

By the way, I used Ubuntu 7.10 32bit LiveCD, to re-partition my iMac drive with GParted as follows:

FAT32 - 200mb
HFS+ - OS X - 50Gb
EXT3 - / - 15Gb
JFS - /home -30Gb
Linux Swap - 2Gb
JFS - /thevoid - 200Gb

GParted did the job beautifully.

I'm over it!

#9 2008-10-17 06:59:40

handy

Most iMac solutions can be found in this wiki page:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IMac_Aluminium

I'm over it!

Board footer