You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-24 22:01:09

sajro

Fluxbox doesn't seem to work, but it's not an X issue...?

I'm trying to use my Fluxbox interface but I've ran into quite an issue. I can log in (from SLiM) to Fluxbox but it just won't work. I can bring up the menu, it shows me conky, and all of the Fluxbox items, but when I click on the menu, nothing happens.

I dropped out of X and installed Awesome. Now, I'm in Awesome posting. It works fine so it's clearly a problem with X itself. I don't know what happened; it just started doing that.

Hmm... any thoughts?

Although, I think I might stick with awesome! Any tips on how to get a clock, calendar, and conky on a certain workspace (main, probably) since I don't really want it in the panel (and don't even know if that is possible...)? Also, is it possible to get a system tray? I can live with pidgin and XChat, etc. being in their own windows...but I'd rather not have to use another workspace.

#2 2008-04-24 22:06:55

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: Fluxbox doesn't seem to work, but it's not an X issue...?

I don't think I can help you, but since you are considering changing WM's, I can strongly recommend Openbox with FBpanel. smile

#3 2008-04-24 22:46:43

Misbah

deleted

Last edited by Misbah (2012-02-14 05:07:13)

#4 2008-04-24 23:03:45

bender02

Misbah wrote:

Check out /root/.fluxbox/menu and see ...

I hope you're kidding and you don't run the computer as root.

#5 2008-04-24 23:35:08

sajro

Misbah wrote:

What do you mean by "I click on the menu, nothing happens". I had the same problem when I first installed flux, [...] will help.

I've had this setup a while now. The menu is completely customised. The WM still messes up no matter where it's launched from.

bender02 wrote:
Misbah wrote:

Check out /root/.fluxbox/menu and see ...

I hope you're kidding and you don't run the computer as root.

That's not good, Misbah, if you do that. If you meant the system0wide menu, it's (I believe) at /usr/share/fluxbox/menu.

#6 2008-04-25 01:38:32

Misbah

deleted

Last edited by Misbah (2012-02-14 05:07:00)

#7 2008-04-25 12:37:27

sajro

Misbah wrote:

I have a user set up, but I just got my arch/flux installed recently and I'm still doing a lot of configuring, so I stay logged in as root, or log in as <user> and keep root logged in vc so I can make changes to the system.

plus my arch box isn't hooked up to the net. I turn on wireless when I need to use pacman, or post code straight to the forums, but aside from that I use my laptop while I work on arch, and I turn the net off on the desktop. Network security aside, the only way it can be compromised is by me myself and I. You know the gun control motto? Guns don't kill people, people kill people? Being logged in as root doesn't kill boxes, people doing dumb things while logged in as root kills boxes. If I do something stupid, then I did something stupid and my box deserves to go kaput. Lesson learned. But so far so good. Most of my tinkering done as root are configuring of conf files and the sort as I thoroughly pore over the wiki. It's annoying to su or logout/login whenever I need to make a change.

Oh, I see. I myself just su and leave the terminal open but I guess your way works well too! That's a good idea.

#8 2008-04-25 21:37:12

oliver

are you logging the fluxbox errors?  (look in the ~/.fluxbox/startup file)... that should tell you whats happening

Board footer