You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-26 04:11:26

andrus

Getting Arch to see my non-linux partitions

So I've been setting up my Arch for a few days now and I just realized that I can't access any of my other partitions (or I just don't know where to look for them?). I seemingly have HAL working although I'm not even sure that it has anything to do with hard drives.. My other partitions are NTFS in case that matters.. And I don't really know what else to say so if anyone could give me some guidance it would be cool smile

Also on an unrelated note, is there anyway you can get pypanel to have "tabs" for each workspace like bmpanel and awesome? I'm assuming no.. but just in case..

#2 2008-04-26 04:33:50

DeeCodeUh

Re: Getting Arch to see my non-linux partitions

pacman -S ntfs-3g

That will install what you need to see the drives.
Use a mount command to mound the partitions...unfortunately the ntfs partitions will be read only.

mount /dev/driveid /path/to/mount/point -t ntfs

As of now, there isn't any way to write to an ntfs partition in linux. (At least I don't think...I could be wrong.)
If you want your drives to mount automatically in a certain location, you're going to have to edit the /etc/fstab file and put them in there.
Ask if you need further information on how to do that.

Last edited by DeeCodeUh (2008-04-26 04:38:13)

#3 2008-04-26 04:52:15

Statix

There most definitely is write compatibility. In fact, that is what ntfs-3g is for (as opposed to standard ntfs.)

Just  use

mount /dev/driveid /path/to/mount/point -t ntfs-3g

And you should be able to write.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS_Write_Support
Has fstab details for automounting.

Last edited by Statix (2008-04-26 04:54:06)

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#4 2008-04-26 05:00:34

andrus

Ah thank you, I got it working. But I do have one problem, I get denied permission to access it as a normal user (root works). My mount point at first was /mnt/***** but I also tried one in my home folder and still doesn't work.

edit: Never mind, pretty sure I just have to put users in the options...

Last edited by andrus (2008-04-26 05:03:20)

#5 2008-04-26 05:37:37

B-Con
Website

andrus wrote:

edit: Never mind, pretty sure I just have to put users in the options...

Yeah, ll mounted filesystems have to, on a higher level, "look" like a *nix-style filesystem in order for your computer to validate permissions and such. When mounting a *nix-nonfriendly filesystem, always check the user (and group) you mount it under, otherwise mount will be forced to make the decision and will usually pick the user performing the mount (almost always root).

#6 2008-04-26 07:42:04

jacko

just add a line to fstab and reboot, you will never have to worry about it again.

/dev/sdxX                    /mnt/ntfs_partion   ntfs-3g   defaults,locale=en_US.utf8

you can access the drive through the directory /mnt/ntfs_partion or anyname u choose. Has to be a valid directory though.

Last edited by jacko (2008-04-26 07:42:47)

Board footer