You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-26 19:34:30

kamahl

jack-audio-connection-kit doesn't start

Hi,
I need jack-audio-connection-kit Daemon running for use in some other programs, but it seems it dies immediately after starting. See:

[ja@kamahl ~]$ sudo /etc/rc.d/jack-audio-connection-kit start
:: Starting Jack-audio-connection-kit Daemon                                                             [DONE]
[ja@kamahl ~]$ ps -e|grep jack
<no output>

I know this is a bit dumb question, but I really have no clue where the problem could be. Do you?

#2 2008-04-26 20:07:07

chimeric
Website

Re: jack-audio-connection-kit doesn't start

Have you tried to run jackd from the commandline without sudo?

% jackd -d alsa

This works for me, however if I use sudo I get:

JACK compiled with POSIX SHM support.
/dev/shm/jack-0 already exists, but is not a directory!

cannot create server sockets
cannot create engine

and jackd doesn't start, my strongest guess is that this happens for you as well.

It's been a while since I tinkered with that stuff, but I think one shouldn't need to run jackd as root at all.

#3 2008-04-26 20:24:49

kamahl

heh, i didn't know that a normal user could start jackd smile, but still doesn't work:

$ jackd -d alsa

JACK compiled with POSIX SHM support.
cannot open existing shm registry segment (Permission denied)
no access to shm registry

:-/
While running it as root, I got same error as you.

#4 2008-04-26 20:54:00

chimeric
Website

I guess this is probably the result of trying to run jackd as root and now the permissions of

/dev/shm/jack-shm-registry

don't allow you to run jack as normal user. Removing this file should help.

#5 2008-11-11 21:47:09

nLEyETn

Is there any way to get this to work at bootup with the jack-audio-connection-kit script?  I want to setup a multiuser system that can have users logging in and out without having to startup jack on each user login.

Does the default script work for anybody?

#6 2008-11-11 22:24:59

denisfalqueto

nLEyETn wrote:

Is there any way to get this to work at bootup with the jack-audio-connection-kit script?  I want to setup a multiuser system that can have users logging in and out without having to startup jack on each user login.

I think you can't do that. Jack must be run by the same user of the client proccesses that connect to it, so you can't start jack by root and start, say, hydrogen as a normal user and make it connect with the jackd server. I think this restriction was removed some days ago, but the changes were not released yet.

One solution I used once was to start jackd just after the user logged, so that I could start the jackd server with the real user. This will depend on the way your desktop environment works. I use kde and it is very easy. it is just to put a script in .kde4/Autostart folder, with the command to start jackd with the parameters you want.

Satisfied users don't rant, so you'll never know how many of us there are.

#7 2008-11-11 22:31:42

nLEyETn

denisfalqueto wrote:
nLEyETn wrote:

I think you can't do that. Jack must be run by the same user of the client proccesses that connect to it, so you can't start jack by root and start, say, hydrogen as a normal user and make it connect with the jackd server. I think this restriction was removed some days ago, but the changes were not released yet.

One solution I used once was to start jackd just after the user logged, so that I could start the jackd server with the real user. This will depend on the way your desktop environment works. I use kde and it is very easy. it is just to put a script in .kde4/Autostart folder, with the command to start jackd with the parameters you want.

Alright, thanks.  I guess that jack startup script is kind of useless since you can't start it in the system boot.  I'll go ahead and add it in a startup script for user logins.  Thanks for the info. smile

#8 2009-07-11 11:32:10

00l0

hello,
i'm having the same problem, i can flawlessly run jackd either via CLI and qjackctl, test sound with mplayer, etc.
However, i can't seem to find a solution that let's me do all this as a normal user:

Error output:

jackd -d firewire
Password:                                     
no message buffer overruns                     
jackd 0.116.2                                 
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.     
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY       
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details   

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
loading driver ..                       
can't load "/usr/lib64/jack/jack_firewire.so": libasound.so.2: failed to map segment from shared object: Resource temporarily unavailable                                                                                 
cannot load driver module firewire

some info:

$cat /etc/fstab
#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
####none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

#/dev/cdrom             /media/cd   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/dvd               /media/dvd  auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/fd0               /media/fl   auto    user,noauto             0      0

UUID=512fbb4a-7c37-4a91-94fd-c2f75bc3ad1c swap swap defaults 0 0
UUID=ce95308e-a444-4d12-a3bf-a1abdcc82eed / ext4 defaults 0 1

lsmod | grep 1394                   
dv1394                 21832  0
ohci1394               34052  1 dv1394
raw1394                29000  0
ieee1394               98912  3 dv1394,ohci1394,raw1394

Should I change udev rules group to audio? How do I do that in Archlinux? :$

$ ls -l /dev/raw1394
crwxrw-rw- 1 root video 171, 0 2009-07-12 14:31 /dev/raw1394

I think it's some sort of permission problem....Any suggestion is welcome! thank you!

#9 2009-11-13 09:39:06

mclabaut

Hello,

I was also strike by the fact that jack is unable to provide sound in a multi-user environment (where unix is multi-user from the beginning... What a regression ! I still can not understand such a design decision from the sound system developers)....

So It finally looks like someone convinced the developer to allow jack as a system wide daemon.... It is not so well documented, but I've set up a new section in the jack wiki page, explaining how I did :
  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JAC … ser_system

So now, I've jack for all user (allowing to use midi apps like rosegarden) and a system wide pulseaudio with jack gateway.... I guess I finally got a fully functional multi-user sound system on Arch... (Note that I use several audio cards, and that my default sink is not the jack one...)

-Mathieu

#10 2009-11-13 10:47:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

mclabaut wrote:

Hello,

I was also strike by the fact that jack is unable to provide sound in a multi-user environment (where unix is multi-user from the beginning... What a regression ! I still can not understand such a design decision from the sound system developers)....

So It finally looks like someone convinced the developer to allow jack as a system wide daemon.... It is not so well documented, but I've set up a new section in the jack wiki page, explaining how I did :
  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JAC … ser_system

So now, I've jack for all user (allowing to use midi apps like rosegarden) and a system wide pulseaudio with jack gateway.... I guess I finally got a fully functional multi-user sound system on Arch... (Note that I use several audio cards, and that my default sink is not the jack one...)

-Mathieu

There's a reason its not well documented. Its not recommended due to security concerns, and simply because it is NOT necessary. Unix wasn't developed for pro-audio stuff anyway, but its evolved to what it is now. More importantly, Jack devs do NOT test running as root, so you may run into unexpected bugs. Neither to pulseaudio devs. Of course, its your system and you can do as you see fit, but simply presuming to know more than the devs of a particular application, particularly one so widely used in pro-audio as Jack, is foolhardy.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#11 2009-11-13 10:59:33

mclabaut

ngoonee wrote:

There's a reason its not well documented. Its not recommended due to security concerns, and simply because it is NOT necessary.

Can you please develop why it is not necessary ?
Without such a hack, my wife is unable to do midi stuff if I logged first, my childs are unabled to get sound in childsplay if I logged first. And no I do not want to kill my session just to allow one other person to get sound !

ngoonee wrote:

Unix wasn't developed for pro-audio stuff anyway, but its evolved to what it is now.

Unix wasn't developped for high-end graphics stuff anyway, but it has evolved to do what X is now.... with multi-user support.

ngoonee wrote:

More importantly, Jack devs do NOT test running as root, so you may run into unexpected bugs. Neither to pulseaudio devs. Of course, its your system and you can do as you see fit, but simply presuming to know more than the devs of a particular application, particularly one so widely used in pro-audio as Jack, is foolhardy.

I agree... and I didn't say I know more than them...

But I'm still grateful they let the end user have the choice of having sound for multi-user system event at the price of some risks I dare to take (and I still not understand why they choose to reject  the multi-user feature from their design...)

#12 2009-11-13 11:07:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

mclabaut wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

There's a reason its not well documented. Its not recommended due to security concerns, and simply because it is NOT necessary.

Can you please develop why it is not necessary ?
Without such a hack, my wife is unable to do midi stuff if I logged first, my childs are unabled to get sound in childsplay if I logged first. And no I do not want to kill my session just to allow one other person to get sound !

Fair enough, though I believe system-wide doesn't necessarily have to run as root, but rather as a special user.

mclabaut wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Unix wasn't developed for pro-audio stuff anyway, but its evolved to what it is now.

Unix wasn't developped for high-end graphics stuff anyway, but it has evolved to do what X is now.... with multi-user support.

One of my pet peeves with X is the crappy multi-user support smile. Just witness how they deprecated xinerama without xrandr being a featureful replacement for multiple monitors.

But again, I do believe there's better ways than just running Jack as root to achieve what you want.

mclabaut wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

More importantly, Jack devs do NOT test running as root, so you may run into unexpected bugs. Neither to pulseaudio devs. Of course, its your system and you can do as you see fit, but simply presuming to know more than the devs of a particular application, particularly one so widely used in pro-audio as Jack, is foolhardy.

I agree... and I didn't say I know more than them...

But I'm still grateful they let the end user have the choice of having sound for multi-user system event at the price of some risks I dare to take (and I still not understand why they choose to reject  the multi-user feature from their design...)

Choice is good! I'm sorry I can't be more specific to help you, as I'm not familiar with a system like you've described myself. If you'd head over to #jack I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help, I'm bumming there pretty often nowadays.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#13 2009-11-13 11:11:59

mclabaut

You're absolutely right about the root vs special user...
I'll do some investigation on that and post the results if any on the wiki page....  I'll definitely try #jack... Thanks for the pointer.

edit: And thanks for the warning on the wiki page ! I just wanted to add it and it was already there ! I like wiki :-)

Last edited by mclabaut (2009-11-13 11:14:18)

Board footer