You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-26 21:01:56

pedepy

yet another fan problem

hey everyone ... i've recently did a complete reinstall of arch on my laptop for 'maintenance' purposees. Now, while I think i've got everything pretty reconfigured exactly as it was before, there is something .. well .. different, about my fan !

Even though i'm 99% positive that ive got all /etc files setup just as they were, that ive got all necessary modules up & running, my fan doesnt seem to be responding in the same way. My CPU isnt really running any hotter than before, but because the fan doesnt react to the higher temps, it gets hotter faster than before, and takes forever too cool down after effort..

I like this laptop & paid lotsa bucks for it, and wouldnt want it to deprecate faster because of heating problems. So, what controls the fan and why might you think it fails to respond to the temps ? ...

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#2 2008-04-26 22:24:12

pedepy

Re: yet another fan problem

more: ive just noticed /proc/acpi/fan/FAN0/state will not buldge from 'off' ...... its 'off' all the freakin time ...... dmesg says its setting state to 'D3' .......

anyway, now i got proof fan is always off. cause thing is, even when its on, its not blowing that hard, nor is it very noisy. so i wasnt sure, but now i am ...

anyways, lm sensors cant seem to find any modules for my fan. and i just cant find any info anywhere on how to get acpi to run my fan ... i guess it should be a mix of events/actions but which and how ???!>

*sadness*

sad

#3 2008-04-26 22:38:56

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Have you installed and set up pm-utils?

Try running a live CD of another distro.  If the fan still doesn't come on, then it may be a hardware problem.

#4 2008-04-27 22:32:50

pedepy

i have pm-utils but im not sure if theyre setup ? ... fan used to work with arch just a month ago. Also, changing bios settings to more aggressive coolin gets the fan, however within acpi it still says 'off'..

Board footer