You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-27 00:27:20

skottish
Forum Fellow

pcmanfm believes that most text files are executables?!?!? [SOLVED]

pcmanfm believes that most text files are executables and I'd really like to get the normal behavior back. This is fairly new but I'm not sure when it happened. The mime types on my system are correct (checked by reinstalling Thunar). I tried deleting the configuration files. I tried setting pcmanfm to open the files in a text editor by default. Nothing is helping. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Last edited by skottish (2008-04-27 18:30:23)

#2 2008-04-27 02:06:38

bgc1954

Re: pcmanfm believes that most text files are executables?!?!? [SOLVED]

I know that pcmanfm was just updated with #pacman Syu just a day or so ago but mine is still ok with text files.  All text files open with mousepad on my boxes.  I just had to open a text file once with mousepad and then after that all text files opened with mousepad.  Nothing changed here with the pcmanfm upgrade.  Sorry sad

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#3 2008-04-27 03:48:39

skottish
Forum Fellow

Hmmm??? It corrected itself on my workstation. My laptop has been stuck like this for days with both the last versions from the repos and my own build of a newer version (0.3.9.98). My workstation was like this when I started this post and now it's back to normal. bgc1954 your mind control powers worked!

I'll watch for a few more days, and if it goes back, I'll file a bug with pcmanfm. I'm leaving this thread as unsolved to see if anyone else is having this issue.

#4 2008-04-27 17:14:32

bgc1954

skottish wrote:
bgc1954 your mind control powers worked!

Drat and double drat...I've been found out and now my plan to takeover Arch and run it my way has been foiled.  Hmmmm... wait a minute... it all ready runs the way I want it too. big_smile

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#5 2008-04-27 17:36:46

bgc1954

skottish wrote:

I tried setting pcmanfm to open the files in a text editor by default.

Did you try this by right-clicking on the file in pcmanfm then selecting properties and choosing your favorite app to open the program with.  I just noticed that pcmanfm was wanting to open all my .mp3 files with audacity rather than audacious and I found an old post that mentioned how to change default double-click open options--I think it might have been in nautilus--but it works in pcmanfm too.  I just had to tell it to open one file with audacious and now all .mp3's open that way.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2008-04-27 17:40:52)

#6 2008-04-27 18:03:08

skottish
Forum Fellow

bgc1954 wrote:

skottish wrote:

I tried setting pcmanfm to open the files in a text editor by default.

Did you try this by right-clicking on the file in pcmanfm then selecting properties and choosing your favorite app to open the program with.  I just noticed that pcmanfm was wanting to open all my .mp3 files with audacity rather than audacious and I found an old post that mentioned how to change default double-click open options--I think it might have been in nautilus--but it works in pcmanfm too.  I just had to tell it to open one file with audacious and now all .mp3's open that way.

Yes, I did and it doesn't help (at least on my laptop anyway).

Here's the strangest thing yet. All of my custom PKGBUILDS are in a directory called aptly ~/stuff/pkgbuilds. Right now if I go into the FFmpeg-svn folder, all of the text files are seen as text files by pcmanfm. If I go into my e17 directory, all of the text files are listed as executables. This is true for PKGBUILD files. My laptop is still all executables, and my workstation is hybrids.

My best guess right now is that something other than pcmanfm set a mime type somewhere that pcmanfm doesn't understand. About the same time as all of the Gnome 2.22 family as stuff upgraded, something completely reset all of the mime types. pcmanfm doesn't have it's own mime type database for local users, so it seems like it's tied to that somehow.

----EDIT----

I should have read what you said more carefully. There seems to be a bunch of stuff that had the executable flag switched on. How that happened is beyond me. And why it's only for only some files is even weirder. And on two separate machines to boot! This may have been something I did, or it may have been something some program did; I'm not really sure. I'll see if I can write a script that corrects this.

Last edited by skottish (2008-04-27 18:36:22)

#7 2008-04-27 18:51:18

bender02

If you use usbstick to transfer files, and it has fat filesystem on it, then there's your culprit - everything copied off of a fat filesystem has executable flag on (unless you tweak the umask option for mounting).

#8 2008-04-27 18:52:39

skottish
Forum Fellow

bender02 wrote:

If you use usbstick to transfer files, and it has fat filesystem on it, then there's your culprit - everything copied off of a fat filesystem has executable flag on (unless you tweak the umask option for mounting).

F**king brilliant! Indeed that's what happened. Man I love this community! Thanks to both of you for your time.

Board footer