You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-27 17:33:57

Rio6000

Letting VGA output TV signal

Hey guys,

I'm building an arcade cabinet and i'm trying to hook my arcade monitor up to my video card. I know it is possible to connect it directly to the video card but i have to let the VGA port output a TV signal. it's an NVidia GeForce4 MX 440.
i've already looked in the nvidia driver documentation and i'm thinking of setting the "ConnectedDisplays" option to TV but before i do it i'll just wait for you guys.

I'm looking forward to your responses.

cheers,
rio

#2 2008-05-02 18:52:01

Rio6000

Re: Letting VGA output TV signal

*bump*

no body? not even a direction? should i be concerned with the screen section or with the device section?

or should i post this in another thread?

cheers

#3 2008-05-02 19:15:00

skottish
Forum Fellow

Welcome to the forums.

Search for xorg.conf in the wiki. Shadowhand has a sample configuration that has TV out. And please don't start more than one thread on the same subject. Someone will get here.

#4 2008-05-06 12:18:02

Rio6000

i've gotten a bit more info on my arcade monitor. Its an Hantarex MTC900E with some sort of pins to connect some wide plug to. However I know for a fact that the monitor accepts the same RGB signal method the VGA port delivers, with the only down side of that it needs TV Refresh rates and resolution and maybe some other thing i can't think of.

My TV is currently connected with an SVideo cable on the is video port of my graphics card. i would use that were it not that the svideo output is not based on the same principles the VGA port is based on.

The cable i'm going to use is a normal VGA cable with one end cut of so i can identify which pin on the connector corresponds to which wire in the cable. Then i'm just going to hook up the wires to the arcade monitors connectors. Here is a diagram.

http://dragonsden.emuunlim.com/
go to the VGA to RGB cable hack link in the menu on the top left.

the thing is that i would have done it already but ive never before messed with refresh rates. i want to have it done right in one go so i won't fry my nice arcade monitor.

thnx,

rio

#5 2008-05-06 13:17:26

hokasch

Im kind, and throwed "arcade modeline" at google + skimmed through some links for you!

The first result seems to be a pretty comprehensive explanation about refresh rates and arcade monitors.
Also there is lrmc to calculate modelines for xorg.conf.

come on, that wasnt rocket science!

While there may well be some risk to damage your monitor, I dont think it will instantly blow up if you get the resolution a bit wrong. I doubt that someone could name you the one correct modeline, you will have to try it out... Just start low, and maybe keep vital parts of your body out ouf range.

#6 2008-05-07 09:09:04

Rio6000

thnx hokasch

I also found the modeline howto i just wanted reassurance because i won't get a second chance. In the mean time i found someone in the neighborhood that has done the exact same thing i'm trying to do.

this time i'm very confident:)

cheers,
rio

Board footer