You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-28 02:26:08

dcraven

Upstream pkg-config Depend and Installed Version Descrepancies

Hi,

I'm attempting to update the AUR package for gnome-gmail-notifier to agree to the latest release upstream. The problem is, that the upstream configure script checks for the dependancy libsoup-2.2 using pkg-config. In an up to date Arch install however, there does not exist a libsoup-2.2.pc file. Instead, we have libsoup-2.4.pc.

In this case, the dependancy is technically met, but the configure script fails anyways. In the Arch Linux world, how is this discrepancy properly handled? Upstream? Is there something to handle this in the context of the PKGBUILD file?

I know how to fix this for myself, on this machine. I'm more curious how the folks of Arch that want to make a proper package would handle this.

Cheers,
~djc

#2 2008-04-29 01:13:54

dcraven

Re: Upstream pkg-config Depend and Installed Version Descrepancies

Just to not leave this thread hanging, I decided to use sed to edit the configure.ac file in the PKGBUILD build() function. Does the trick, but I'm not sure it's the proper way. I do see sed being used for many modifications in other packages, however, so I'll run with this solution for now smile

#3 2008-04-29 01:56:05

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Upstream pkg-config Depend and Installed Version Descrepancies

If that solution works then it is not a bad thing to do.  There is probably a patch somewhere that does the same thing...

In cases like these, the developers of gnome-gmail-notifier have probably only tested with libsoup-2.2.  If libsoup-2.4 happens to be compatible then all is good.

Board footer