You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-28 15:04:10

ralvy

KMail won't remember .WAV association

Fresh install of the latest Arch RC. Using KDE 3.5.9.

I notice that when I have a .WAV attachment in KMail, and I choose a particular audio player (xine, in this case), and make sure I check the box to remember this association, the system seems to get updated and the .WAV file is played, but this setting isn't remembered the next time. I'm always prompted for the app to play the .WAV file. Control Center shows I have successfully associated xine with x-wav files. Not sure where I've gone wrong here.

#2 2008-04-28 15:32:30

attila

Re: KMail won't remember .WAV association

In the dialog about opening the attachment there is a switch that this dialog won't be shown the next time if you want this. I think this has security reasons but it is your decision. smile

#3 2008-04-28 15:57:19

ralvy

I chose the option to have the security warning stop popping up. But I still get the dialogue asking me which app to run every time.

#4 2008-04-28 16:36:57

ralvy

Now that I see this is also happening on my Slackware installation, which only has a KDE 3.5.4, I think this is the result of the latest kdelibs security update.

#5 2008-04-28 17:57:31

attila

Sorry for my hint because i don't test it ... because i don't know where i can get this dialog back if make the switch. smile

But i take a look in kcontrol and on the second tab there is another switch about "Asking if saving" (Sorry, i us the german language but i hope you understand what i mean). Perhaps you need the combination of this two switches but this doesn't sounds very much logical.

Before your question i never think about this because the default button is starting the application and so it is only one return away but it is a good question how this can be deactivated.

#6 2008-04-28 18:03:24

ralvy

The dialogue I get every time is the "Open with ..." dialogue.  I never used to get that until after I upgraded kdelibs. At least I think that's the problem. This happens even if I set it to not ask again. I think this is a KDE bug I should report, now that I see it in both Arch (KDE 3.5.9) and Slackware (KDE 3.5.4 with security updates).

#7 2008-04-28 20:55:30

ralvy

In my Slackware installation (in the office) I solved this by going into KControl and setting WAV to xine, as well as X-WAV. Until I did that, only X-WAV was set correctly. Apparently the Open With dialogue failed to honor my X-WAV setting that was there before.

Board footer