You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-28 16:51:18

super_duper_linux_guy

Question regarding LiveCD harddisk installation

Hello everyone, I have been trying to find some information regarding the LiveCD linux installation, but I didn't quite find what I was looking for. I was wondering if LiveCD installation was a "good" installation, in the sence that it would give you the full ability to upgrade the system like with the pacman commands?

I really want to give Arch Linux a try, but at the moment I thought I would get to know it first before I would take the quest for installation. So I was wondering if it was possible to do the same things (like a full system upgrade) with a live CD installation?

Thnx!

#2 2004-05-28 17:18:12

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Question regarding LiveCD harddisk installation

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … ight=amlug

check AMLUG site .....

HTH

Mr Green...

(Wonders why you cannot do normal install???)

Mr Green

#3 2004-05-28 17:22:13

super_duper_linux_guy

Hi, thnx. I already took a look before I posted. It doesn't really mention if it is really possible, I'm just guessing it is, since he wouldn't remove the functionality (the thing Arch is famous for), would he? big_smile

#4 2004-05-28 17:23:52

super_duper_linux_guy

Oh and I can't take the "risk" of a normal install at the moment, and the LiveCD (as I take a look at it) looks saver.

Plus I need to look up some information regarding my PC that is not at hand at the moment, but the LiveCD makes a lot of configurations automatically which really helps a lot.

#5 2004-05-28 18:14:08

lilsirecho
Veteran

I have used the LiveCD from PCLinuxOSLiveCD, knoppixLiveCD, and archLiveCD.

I used KnoppixLiveCD, which has partimage program, to clone arch2.6.6  into a second hard drive.  The same program is provided in PCLinuxOS livecd but it was unable to exceed 700MB in root .gz partition image.  Live CD in these two CD's is reasonably fast, altho the loading is about 4 to 5 mins.

Arch linux Live CD is extremely slow and uses a different system than the above to provide a liveCD.  I do not believe it has as much RAM capability as knoppix26 mode which provides the maximum available.  It may be possible to download through the knoppix CD which has internet capability to obtain packages from the arch site but probably not as a sync db related download.  This download could then be placed in an arch HDD which would allow pacman -A (pkg name) to be entered into the arch system.  I haven't tried this however.

The  -Syu mode requires sync between the arch installed pkgs and the arch FTP packages so the liveCD may have problems in addition to the very low speed of acquisition.

I cannot vouch for the correctness of this post but it is my considered opinion based on my experience in cloning my arch to a new drive in the available LiveCD programs.

Using LiveCD for partimage keeps the many libraries needed out of the computer base because the Live CD provides all that are needed.

The problem you post may be very slow in execution if it can be done.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#6 2004-05-28 18:18:10

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Life is about taking risks.....

HWD will detect most if not all hardware....

If you can get AMLUG live CD running then a the very least you will have a working XF86Config file...

Arch is not that difficult to install (If I can do it so can you)

You are right though do your reasearch that will make it a lot easier...

We are also here to help

Mr Green

Mr Green

#7 2004-05-28 20:11:12

super_duper_linux_guy

Well, I'm gonna give it a go and try to install it.

Hehe, just have to ask my little brother and sister to back up their files. big_smile

#8 2004-05-28 22:01:21

super_duper_linux_guy

I do have another question though, in what order should I execute commands in order to get a KDE desktop? Do I have to start with XFree86?

#9 2004-05-29 06:45:20

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

super_duper_linux_guy wrote:

....in what order should I execute commands in order to get a KDE desktop? Do I have to start with XFree86?

Before installing the LiveCD in HDD (hd-install), you need to run hwd. The installer will do it for you if not already done. After this the installer copies everything in HDD with same configure and user ID setup.... what you see in LiveCD will be same in HDD.

Once copied in HDD and re-booted, run "pacman -Syu" to update all packages from Arch ftp server. With "pacman -S <name of package>" add new. With "pacman -R <name of package>" to remove.

Markku

Board footer