You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-01 08:46:55

MoonSwan

Another day, another Go Client - RubyGo

Encouraged by my success with building, installing & packaging the glGo program earlier* last week, I wanted to try to build a pkgbuild myself to see if I can.  However I have run into a few snags & I could use the experience of those more knowledgeable than I to nail down some details before I proceed.

Firstly, it seems that RubyGo's dependencies are fairly standard for ruby-based apps.  However when i ran across the instructions on how to build it from source, I was a bit apprehensive on whether to use their instructions verbatim (just to see if it is easy to install/compile) or not.  Here is the relevant section of their website & the URL -

You need the packages tcl, tk, tcl-dev installed on your system. (i.e. files libtclxx.so, libtkxx.so and tcl.h) Get the tarball at: ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/stable-snapshot.tar.gz or see the page: http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/download.html  and type (as root): 
 # tar xvzf stable-snapshot.tar.gz
 # cd ruby
 # ./configure  
 # make
 # make test
 # make install (this will install ruby under /usr/local)

Source url:  http://rubygo.rubyforge.org/

My question is:  Do I follow the instructions & download the ruby tarball to get the correct libs & other bits?  Or do I rely on pacman to find the correct files?  I chose to do the latter but I ran into a problem there, in that I cannot seem to find any package named "ruby-tk" in any repo through yaourt or pacman.  I did a lot of searching in AUR too & for the life of me I cannot find any application that provides this (seemingly) obscure file.  What am I doing wrong?

Secondly, I did try to install from the binary tarball they give at the top of the page.  However when I go to run the application, I get these errors:

ruby /usr/local/games/RubyGo/lib/go.rb
RubyGo path is  /usr/local/games/RubyGo/lib
  using artsd (KDE)
user files in /home/adriana/.rubygo
user defaults not found
user entries not found
user GUI not found
alloc: invalid block: 0x8541310: ef ef 30
Aborted

I realise this is likely due to missing files of some sort (ruby-tk being one of the said missing deps I'm sure) but I wondered if someone might glean a bit more information from this error message than what I am able to puzzle out.  Is there something else amiss?

Thank you in advance to any who reply.

MS

* I did not build glGo alone, I had extensive help from jacko & sigi, for which I am very grateful.  I still cannot seem to make a menu entry for it properly with the pkgbuild nor upload it and I don't know why.  However that is for the original glGo thread,  I wished only to acknowledge those people who should be accredited for the aid they provided to this arch-newbie.  smile

Last edited by MoonSwan (2008-05-01 08:48:03)

#2 2008-05-01 09:47:38

adlucem

Re: Another day, another Go Client - RubyGo

My reply is off-topic regarding RubyGo, but it might be of interest to Go players:
EidoGo is a cool (and promising) new web-based app; check out its FireFox extension!
http://eidogo.com/

"The rules of Go are so elegant, organic and rigorously logical that if intelligent life forms exist elsewhere in the universe they almost certainly play Go." E. Lasker, International Chess Master.

#3 2008-05-01 10:40:21

MoonSwan

Re: Another day, another Go Client - RubyGo

Interesting application.  Thank you very much adlucem, I will definitely look at this application and see what it can do.  I've been looking for a decent Go app that runs under linux and also has tutorial/teaching capabilities built-in.  The only such app I have found until now is Many Faces of Go, a purely windows client, that does work with Wine (or so I am led to believe).  I'd rather run something platform agnostic or specifically made for the linux environment.

Board footer