You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-01 10:29:33

jackrat

{Solved}Install Errors, won't load nvidia kernel modules

I have been following the beginner's guide word for word, but have come to a brick wall. I am at the point of "Installing and configuring X". I have tried to use the generic nvidia driver named in the guide, and I have tried to use the 96xx driver. I tried Xorg -configure and Xorg I have an Nvidia 6200 video card. It is in a Dell 4300 which ran Windows XP just fine.

When I run  X -config /root/xorg.conf.new I get these errors;
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.23-ARCH/modules.dep: No such file or directory.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA (0):  ***Aborting ***
(EE) Screen (s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I tried backing up and starting over in the configuring X section, The error messages I get now are:
nvidia-utils conflicts with libgl; libgl won't install because it conflicts and nvidia requires nvidia-utils.

Do I need to CFdisk and start over, or is there some way to fix this mess?

Last edited by jackrat (2008-05-07 06:02:50)

#2 2008-05-01 10:42:15

ghostHack

Re: {Solved}Install Errors, won't load nvidia kernel modules

Have you run a pacman -Syu since you installed? 

It looks like you are running an old kernel since X is looking for modules for kernel 2.6.23 but the current kernel in [core] is 2.6.24 and the nvidia modules will be built against this kernel, i.e. they should be in /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/

The libgl thing is not a problem, the nvidia drivers provide their own version of libgl which is why nvidia-utils conflicts with libgl, you can safely let pacman remove the libgl package if you are going to use nvidia.

#3 2008-05-01 16:53:18

jackrat

"Have you run a pacman -Syu since you installed?  "

Yes, a couple of times. I just did it again and it says:
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
unstable is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade ...
local databast is up to date

How would I upgrade the kernel so I can get this installed? (I didn't see how to do that in the beginner's guide). I would really like to get it installed and see if I like this distribution. I have heard a lot of raves about it and would like to get it going. Thanks for responding.

Last edited by jackrat (2008-05-01 16:54:42)

#4 2008-05-01 18:13:13

tomk
Forum Fellow

There's a follow-up question missing here, which is: have you rebooted since you did pacman -Syu? It's probable that pacman has updated the kernel package, which would have replaced /lib/modules/2.6.23-ARCH with /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH, but if you haven't rebooted, your running kernel is still 2.6.23-ARCH.

#5 2008-05-01 18:15:06

jackrat

P.S. OK, I found, in another thread, that I can update the kernel by using pacman -Sf kernel26. I did that, and it said Success!!
after doing X -config /root/xorg.conf.new, I still get the same error messages, except it now says that the Build Operating System is 2.6.24. I'm confused, how do I get this to look for the updated kernel instead of the old one?

#6 2008-05-01 18:16:25

jackrat

tomk wrote:

There's a follow-up question missing here, which is: have you rebooted since you did pacman -Syu? It's probable that pacman has updated the kernel package, which would have replaced /lib/modules/2.6.23-ARCH with /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH, but if you haven't rebooted, your running kernel is still 2.6.23-ARCH.

Thanks, I didn't know I have to reboot. I will try that now.

#7 2008-05-01 18:26:44

jackrat

That got me into X, Thanks! <\:-)> A tip o' the hat to ya smile
Moving on now :-D

#8 2008-05-01 20:00:45

jackrat

Well, after finally getting X taken care of (thanks to tomk), I have other problems sad I have no ability to get on the internet :? I can ping the router, I can ping the modem, but I can't ping Google :? I can't update I get "Transient resolver failure" and I found out that when I rebooted to get X, it took out all of my additions to xorg.conf.new and I no longer have an /etc/resolv.conf file. This is crazy, I want to learn Linux, but not by working on an install for several days!

#9 2008-05-01 20:53:54

tomk
Forum Fellow

You shouuld have moved xorg.conf.new to xorg.conf, and then edited it.

As for resolv.conf, if you're using dhcp, restarting network will regenerate it. If you're static, just write a new one.

#10 2008-05-01 21:41:20

jackrat

tomk wrote:

You should have moved xorg.conf.new to xorg.conf, and then edited it.

As for resolv.conf, if you're using dhcp, restarting network will regenerate it. If you're static, just write a new one.

I did move xorg.conf as the guide directed, I'll look at it again and see what editing I'm supposed to do.

As far as your second comment, I'm using a static IP address for that. I rebooted, but nothing changed. What do you mean by "restarting network will regenerate it." How do I restart network? Do I have to rewrite a new resolv.conf every time I boot up?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by jackrat (2008-05-01 21:46:17)

#11 2008-05-01 22:09:55

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Arch takes a while to set up, but it's worth the time.  When I was installing Arch, I also had problems with my resolv.conf getting overwritten.  I made a copy of it in my home directory and would copy from there when it got overwritten.

You can restart the network by doing
/etc/rc.d/network restart

#12 2008-05-01 23:37:02

jackrat

Thank you, I'll try that next, I'm installing the fonts right now wink Jackrat

Board footer