You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-01 21:57:14

whaler

KDE fun

1. When I installed Arch (latest RC) on this 64-bit AMD Athlon box and got to installing KDE, pacman complained it could not resolve "tcptl", so I installed "kdebase" instead.

2. At some point after the installation, I dragged a copy of "trash" to the systray, whereupon the sound volume control disappeared.

3. To get the volume control back, I installed KDE's multimedia module. The volume control reappeared, but in this process the desktop icons disappeared (the files survived in the desktop directory).

4. In order to fix this, I decided to try installing the full KDE again, which went well this time, except it did not bring my desktop icons back. I suspect I should have deinstalled KDEbase before installing KDE...

I suppose I can try deinstalling and reinstalling KDE again, but wonder if there is an easier way to make files in the desktop directory appear on the desktop?

#2 2008-05-01 22:30:32

hacosta

Re: KDE fun

both pacman -S kde and pacman -S kdebase will install kdebase as kde is just a group that contains (among other things) kdebase, you can verify this with pacman -Qg kde

1.- pacman -Ss tcptl gives no results... can you further explain this issue
2.- if you as a normal user manage to bork your kde settings pacman is not the answer to your problems as the changes that messed up the install are probably in a config file in your home folder. (hint: create a new user, check if kde behaves as expected)
3.- ?? if kde multimedia was not installed, why did you have a volume icon in the first place

4.- are you sure you have Show icons on desktop enabled... kcontrol->desktop->behavior->Show icons on desktop

#3 2008-05-01 23:56:42

whaler

hacosta wrote:

both pacman -S kde and pacman -S kdebase will install kdebase as kde is just a group that contains (among other things) kdebase, you can verify this with pacman -Qg kde

Yes, I am aware that "kde" installs "kdebase" also (first).

1.- pacman -Ss tcptl gives no results... can you further explain this issue

No, all I have is what I wrote down during the install, i.e. that pacman said it could "not resolve" 'tcptl'...

2.- if you as a normal user manage to bork your kde settings pacman is not the answer to your problems as the changes that messed up the install are probably in a config file in your home folder. (hint: create a new user, check if kde behaves as expected)

Sounds reasonable smile I will try that.

3.- ?? if kde multimedia was not installed, why did you have a volume icon in the first place

Beats me, but it gets installed.

4.- are you sure you have Show icons on desktop enabled... kcontrol->desktop->behavior->Show icons on desktop

Yes, 'Show icons' is enabled.

#4 2008-05-02 00:06:38

raul_nds

Not a fix, but while your problems aren't solved you could try kdemod. I think it's more used than regular kde anyway.

Try the different user thing

#5 2008-05-02 01:41:37

whaler

raul_nds wrote:

Not a fix, but while your problems aren't solved you could try kdemod. I think it's more used than regular kde anyway.

Try the different user thing

Yes, I've had that in the back of my head for a while.
However, I seem to remember reading that it entailed some special preparation/configuration - but I may be wrong...

Anyway, I created a new user and had my desktop icons back, AND sound, but no sound volume control icon!
This is getting ridiculous sad

#6 2008-05-02 03:26:38

whaler

Well, I deinstalled KDE and Qt3 and started the install of KDEmod.
But - KDEmod "requires libopensync>=0.34"
So I used yaourt to search, and found a 0,36 version in unstable.
However, this was uninstallable due to a misconfigured PKGBUILD.
I reinstalled KDE and Qt3 and am back to square 1.

Linux is truly a catch 22 on multitudinous levels...

Last edited by whaler (2008-05-02 03:31:02)

#7 2008-05-02 03:31:50

Sigi

whaler wrote:

However, this was uninstallable due to a misconfigured PKGBUILD

WTF? (Pardon my choice of words for the abreviation, this isn't meant offensive at all)

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#8 2008-05-02 08:34:58

raul_nds

Really? This is weird because I have KDEmod installed and I have libopensync 0.22 =\

#9 2008-05-02 10:18:53

glad
Website

whaler wrote:

1. When I installed Arch (latest RC) on this 64-bit AMD Athlon box and got to installing KDE, pacman complained it could not resolve "tcptl", so I installed "kdebase" instead.

2. At some point after the installation, I dragged a copy of "trash" to the systray, whereupon the sound volume control disappeared.

3. To get the volume control back, I installed KDE's multimedia module. The volume control reappeared, but in this process the desktop icons disappeared (the files survived in the desktop directory).

4. In order to fix this, I decided to try installing the full KDE again, which went well this time, except it did not bring my desktop icons back. I suspect I should have deinstalled KDEbase before installing KDE...

I suppose I can try deinstalling and reinstalling KDE again, but wonder if there is an easier way to make files in the desktop directory appear on the desktop?

I use KDEMOD, and got the same error as you did with the tcptl package, but i just addes --nodeps, that way it didnt look after the package. But still, i wonder why it needs a non existing package.

Last edited by glad (2008-05-02 10:19:31)

#10 2008-05-02 13:13:43

raul_nds

You guys should file a bug in the KDEmod website. The community thanks you smile

#11 2008-05-02 14:02:26

whaler

glad wrote:

I use KDEMOD, and got the same error as you did with the tcptl package, but i just addes --nodeps, that way it didnt look after the package. But still, i wonder why it needs a non existing package.

Well, I got the message about 'tcptl' when I tried installing the *full* KDE last week, whereupon I installed kdebase. When installing KDE last night, there was no error msg about tcptl... Looks like something has been fixed in the meantime.

#12 2008-05-02 14:03:39

whaler

raul_nds wrote:

You guys should file a bug in the KDEmod website. The community thanks you smile

According to the discussion on the libopensync page in AUR, this will be taken care of shortly...

Last edited by whaler (2008-05-02 14:05:20)

#13 2008-05-02 14:24:52

whaler

Sigi wrote:
whaler wrote:

However, this was uninstallable due to a misconfigured PKGBUILD

WTF?

Agreed. It is nice that KDEmod is being improved, but they should make sure that newer deps are available. Guess it will be sorted quite soon, though.

Board footer