You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-02 21:52:12

leo2501

making a huge print from a jpg image

hi! barely arch related, but i want to make a huge print, say 2x1 meters from a jpg image like this:

thangkavairochanagcd6.th.jpg

so im wondering what's the best way to clean the image and make it appropiate to make such a big print from it, obviously the pixels will be big as my hand if look closely, but all im looking is a way in gimp to do it or something like that, i think in convert the image to svg, but in inkscape all i get are black borders with the trace option, and autotrace makes a huge 21 mb file that i cannot open, the ram of the pc get's to 0 and then hangs tongue so i cant see the result, any tips/ideas?

i know, that i surely can simplify the picture in gimp to make more easy the convertion to vector (say, delete the background, and picture noise) , that's another way i think, only if i know how to convert to svg tongue

sorry if im searching for something impossible/obvious sad

TNX! smile

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#2 2008-05-02 23:18:27

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: making a huge print from a jpg image

There's a GIMP technique that can be used. It will take some care to minimize pixelization. You'll need the plug-ins greycstoration, sharpen, and refocus. Grow the image with the scale function in increments of around 100 pixels in the shortest direction (keeping the aspect ratio locked). Apply greycstoration after every cycle adjusting it to try to keep your image from becoming too swirly-psychedelic (Which can be cool. You'll see what I mean). Try refocus or sharpen each time to keep it from becoming blurry, and repeat. Both refocus and sharpen can add artifacts with this technique so watch each iteration carefully. If done properly you can grow images very large with a minimum of pixelization. The biggest challenge you have is to maintain the original without it becoming too blurry or adding too many "straight line" artifacts from over-sharpening (you'll notice what I mean if you run refocus over too many iterations).

--EDIT--

I should add that the image will change, but it can be done in such a way that it's still very good.

--EDIT 2--

I keep editing this post to correct unclear areas. I'll be happy to write it out more concisely if anyone is interested.

Last edited by skottish (2008-05-03 03:46:31)

#3 2008-05-03 12:09:40

leo2501

Great! i'll try it tomorrow and post the result! smile

thanks!

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

#4 2008-07-08 02:09:47

leo2501

well i realize that what i need was another type of image, so i made it very huge, say 2x3 meters sending the svg to a printing shop or something like that...

this is the new style image (i have lots of this style) big_smile it converts PERFECTLY with autotrace

p60tn5.th.gif

Last edited by leo2501 (2008-07-08 02:10:31)

#5 2008-07-08 12:00:07

oliwer
Website

Maybe http://vectormagic.com/ will give you better results than inkscape.

#6 2008-07-08 14:18:48

RaisedFist
Website

I don't know, but maybe you should try the rasterbator

#7 2008-07-08 22:57:52

leo2501

the printing shop just say to me that they need a adobe illustrator or corel vector image format, i'll take a look at those pages! smile

#8 2008-07-09 16:26:47

Benzo

Give a look to http://www.blockposters.com might be useful

Board footer