You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-03 09:33:11

Isomorphism

[SOLVED]Jabber: Registering new account problem

Hi all,

When I saw a sticky related Arch's group chat (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=28641), I wanted to join this chat. So I installed Psi as explained there and then tried following Psiwiki to register a new account.

Psiwiki says:

There are two parts to a Jabber ID, or JID. The first part is your username, and the second part is the server address. The JID is written like an email address: username@server.com. You can choose any username that you want, but keep in mind that it might already be taken if you try to register it on a very popular server. You thus have to choose the Jabber Server you want.

So I typed "chat.fritalk.com" in the server field.
And I get the following errors:

The chat.fritalk.com certificate failed the authenticity test.
Reason: Certificate is self-signed.

There was an error communicating with the Jabber server.
Details: Stream Negotiation Error: Host unknown

Click on the drop down arrow on the right of the input field will retrieve a list of Jabber Servers from xmpp.net automatically. You can then choose a server to your liking.

When I click on the drop down arrow on the right of the input field, I dont get the jabber servers either sad

Also finally I can register if my server is "fritalk.com", but then I dont know how to join group chat sad

Thanks,
Isomorphism

Last edited by Isomorphism (2008-05-03 11:42:54)

#2 2008-05-03 11:11:08

noalwin

Re: [SOLVED]Jabber: Registering new account problem

Isomorphism wrote:

So I typed "chat.fritalk.com" in the server field.
And I get the following errors:

[................]

Also finally I can register if my server is "fritalk.com", but then I dont know how to join group chat sad

Thanks,
Isomorphism

Yes, the server is fritalk.com, chat.fritalk.com it's a component/service of that server.

About joining the room

What jabber client are you using?

On most clients you can use the service discovery to look the server services and then search the room in the list. And they also often have a "join chatroom" dialog that asks you the room name and server. Pidgin doen't have service discovery but it can list the rooms (in tools menu, and then get the list from the address chat.fritalk.com)

As a side note, if you have a jabber account on other jabber server (like a gmail account), you don't need to open a new account on fritalk.com since servers does communicate between each other

#3 2008-05-03 11:42:04

Isomorphism

Re: [SOLVED]Jabber: Registering new account problem

noalwin wrote:

Yes, the server is fritalk.com, chat.fritalk.com it's a component/service of that server.

About joining the room

What jabber client are you using?

On most clients you can use the service discovery to look the server services and then search the room in the list. And they also often have a "join chatroom" dialog that asks you the room name and server. Pidgin doen't have service discovery but it can list the rooms (in tools menu, and then get the list from the address chat.fritalk.com)

As a side note, if you have a jabber account on other jabber server (like a gmail account), you don't need to open a new account on fritalk.com since servers does communicate between each other

I am using Psi and I have already joined the room big_smile

Thanks for the "service discovery" tip. I did not know that smile

Thanks,
Isomorphism

Board footer