You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-03 09:36:30

Koiti

New to Arch

Old problems follows.

I recently started using Arch, after almost 2 years using Ubuntu, and liked very much the "KISS" philosophy. Managed to make my system almost from scratch, but i still had some problems with my ATi video card.

I did according to the Beginners Guide, and installed the "catalyst/catalyst-utils" packages, updated my xorg.conf file to use the new driver (fglrx), but can't use none of the commands I am already used to (fglrxinfo/glxinfo/glxgears).

Entering "sudo modprobe -l fglrx" lists the module as active, and the system is working fine as long as i don't need to use some 3d apps (blender, gaming or compiz).

Is there another way to check if the module is working or another way to build it?

BTW, in Ubuntu, using the drivers from ATi's web site i got the same errors, maybe a bug?

Cheers from Japan.

#2 2008-05-03 10:38:10

prasetyams

Re: New to Arch

I have the same problem too, under XUbuntu. Then after switching to Arch, I only installed the opensource ATi driver (the xf86-video-ati), then I followed the instructions as in the beginner's guide. It works flawlessly, but I haven't tried running any 3D games or apps, since I don't use them, so I don't know the performance on using the opensource version.

Btw, the opensource version is known to be less problematic. Hope it helps.

Where's my sig?

#3 2008-05-03 10:57:32

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

in regards to not having glxinfo/glxgears, they are in the mesa package and can be installed through

pacman -S mesa

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#4 2008-05-03 12:44:52

Koiti

Ghost1227 wrote:

in regards to not having glxinfo/glxgears, they are in the mesa package and can be installed through

pacman -S mesa

Tried that.

glxgears does not give any output, and glxinfo hangs after this:

bash-3.2$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0

It was supposed to give more output, like the renderer's name, etc. but it just hangs up in there.

Hardware failure?

Board footer