You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-03 16:21:28

theringmaster
Website

several problems on new openbox install

Hi guys I switched out my computers and installed openbox on my new one (2001 computer tongue). First of all I finally got x.org to work on this computer. hurray for me. ok first problem

1. I installed gtk-chtheme to change my gtk2 themes and i installed the clearlooks package to try it out, but it segfaults on me when i try to change a theme.

[jeff@open-box ~]$ gtk-chtheme
/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks-Olive/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:44: Clearlooks configuration option "menuitemstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.
/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks-Olive/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:45: Clearlooks configuration option "listviewitemstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.
/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks-Olive/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:46: Clearlooks configuration option "progressbarstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.
/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks-Olive/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:44: Clearlooks configuration option "menuitemstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.
/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks-Olive/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:45: Clearlooks configuration option "listviewitemstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.
/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks-Olive/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:46: Clearlooks configuration option "progressbarstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.
Segmentation fault

2. I have pcmanfm as a file manager and I would like it to start up with the same settings that I just told it to use. I like it to set my background and use icons on the desktop (all of which can be turned on via it setting dialog). I have it started as pcmanfm& in my autostart.sh. Then I found a post somewhere that said to use the -d option but that didn't work either.

3. I use obconf and obmenu to manage my openbox setup, but they won't work. They give me a "operation not permitted" type message. I ran obmenu as root (via sudo) and it worked perfectly. obconf still didn't function as root or a regular user. weird  neutral
2008-05-03-102102_1280x1024_scrot143.png.xs.jpg

4. I have no sound as well. I installed alsa and turned up the volume controls and unmuted them. no luck. do i need esd or something as well?

Last edited by theringmaster (2008-05-03 16:28:41)

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#2 2008-05-03 22:56:20

dunc

Re: several problems on new openbox install

I'd check the permissions and ownerships in my home directory if I were you. Your third problem is almost certainly caused by something along those lines: either rc.xml itself is unwritable, or one or more of the directories in its path is. It's just about possible the autostart.sh problem is related. Is autostart.sh executable by your user?

The last one: No, you don't need esd. Just a thought, one of those "obvious-but-it's-best-to-check" things: is your user in the audio group?

0 Ok, 0:1

#3 2008-05-03 23:16:37

fuscia

Re: several problems on new openbox install

~/.config only has root access by default. just change the permissions and you'll be able to make changes with obconf.

Last edited by fuscia (2008-05-03 23:17:00)

Board footer