You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-03 16:45:43

Borb

Cups/Xfce network printing problem

I'm really pulling my hair out over this problem, I've tried everything I can think of and everything suggested to me by helpful #archlinux users... So let me start by saying what I am trying to do... It is quite simple in theory.

I have a box running Debian etch with a printer which I am trying to use from this local Arch box.

So Debian has Cups on it and one printer which is shared and published and I have access to the Cups server from this box. I can successfully access the web interface of that box and print a test page. The Cups version on Debian is 1.2.7 (old).

On this box I have a fully updated Arch and I have Cups (1.3.7). Without any configuration, my local Cups web interface shows the printer from the Debian box. I'm not really sure how this works but it appears to relay everything to the remote Cups. I cannot test this printer properly because this leads to a maybe unrelated Xfce issue. Xfce will not show any of my Cups printers (the printing system is set to Cups).

I have followed this section of the wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUP … x_to_Linux And lpq gives me this error:

# lpq
lpq: error - no default destination available.

So instead maybe I will try to add the printer to my local Cups as a network printer. I choose ipp (http) and add the correct url, select either the foomatic HP 940C drivers (correct) or Generic Postscript drivers. The printer is now shown in my local Cups web interface (but not Xfce). If  I try to print a test page, however, I get this error in the log:

E [03/May/2008:17:26:24 +0100] [Job 11] Print file was not accepted (Quota limit reached.)!

So in a nutshell I have two possibly unrelated problems. Xfce/lpq cannot find my Cups printers and my Cups cannot print to the remote Cups. I've got to the point where I will just try anything... so any suggestions are welcome, but I don't really want to touch the Debian box, so backporting a newer Cups is not acceptable. Thanks!

#2 2008-05-03 17:42:16

kjon

Re: Cups/Xfce network printing problem

You have to check the following:

1. First of all, having access to your remote cups *doesn't means* that you can print. Do you have the same user/pass on both machines? What about printer permissions? Are you able to *manage* (and I mean _manage_) your printer jobs remotely? What about adding a printer remotely?

2. In my case was as simple as installing the printer on the remote computer and enable *internet printing* (on server management). This enables the ipp stuff for remote printing.

3. About printing publishing, have a look on the checkmark "publish printers connected locally to this machine" (or something like that).

And that's all. I don't like to play with lpr because ipp seemed easier, but YMMV. I hope this works for you.

Greetz.

Last edited by kjon (2008-05-03 17:45:32)

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#3 2008-05-04 15:07:45

Borb

Re: Cups/Xfce network printing problem

kjon wrote:

You have to check the following:

1. First of all, having access to your remote cups *doesn't means* that you can print. Do you have the same user/pass on both machines? What about printer permissions? Are you able to *manage* (and I mean _manage_) your printer jobs remotely? What about adding a printer remotely?

2. In my case was as simple as installing the printer on the remote computer and enable *internet printing* (on server management). This enables the ipp stuff for remote printing.

3. About printing publishing, have a look on the checkmark "publish printers connected locally to this machine" (or something like that).

And that's all. I don't like to play with lpr because ipp seemed easier, but YMMV. I hope this works for you.

Greetz.

1. I don't have the same username and password... The printer allows the user "guest" to print, which does allow me to print a test page from the remote web interface. I can manage jobs using the remote Cups web interface. I can't add a printer remotely because that needs admin permissions...

2. Not sure where the server management part is. The printer can be used with IPP but it says Quota limit reached.

3. I have checked the printer publishing stuff. The publishing is working as far as I can tell but the printer just won't take any jobs...

Board footer