You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-04 08:27:17

infinite_turtles

graphics library broken

Hi,

I recently did a system upgrade and, and X refused to start properly. this happens regularly when i haven't updated in a while. so, as i have done several times before, i ran /usr/bin/nvidia-install. only this time it didn't work. I can't remember what the error message was, maybe it was complaining about not having a target although ive never had to do that before.

So i went to make sure i had the most recent nvidia package before trying to debug the problem. and ran "pacman -S nvidia", but it wouldn't work because of conflicting files, most of which were nvidia files anyway, then i did what was probably a very bad thing and copied those files temporarily elsewhere and ran the pacman -S nvidia again. this worked, however X still wouldn't load. I copied the files back to their original locations and suddenly X is able to run again.

i have working X displays. The problem is though that now my graphics library is broken. if i tried to run glxgears or etracer for instance I would get an error "no such file or directory libGL.so.1" even though there was the file "/usr/lib/libGL.so.1" on my system, where it had always been. i tried reinstalling a few things and now if i run glxgears and other such programs all they do is segfault.

sincerely hoping this is all recoverable,
David.

#2 2008-05-05 06:27:48

kumico
Website

Re: graphics library broken

libGL.so.1 is provided by the nvidia-utils pkg
/usr/bin/nvidia-install? there is no longer such a file, why do you need to run it anyway?
i've honestly never heard of it either.

i guess your best chance is to just reinstall `pacman -S nvidia` it depends on nvidia-utils
make sure you have done `pacman -Syu`

Board footer