You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-04 09:08:03

Nikhil

file system check failed

Hi,
I installed arch a few days back. It was working fine till day before yesterday. Yesterday when I tried booting it, i got the following message:

Mounting Root Read-only
Checking Filesystems
/dev/sda3: clean ....
/dev/sda1: clean ....
/dev/sda5 contains a file system with errors,check forced
Duplicate or bad block in use!
/dev/sda5: Multiply-claimed block(s) in inode .....
/dev/sda5: Multiply-claimed block(s) in inode .....
/dev/sda5: (there are two inodes containing multiply-claimed blocks.)

/dev/sda5: File /(path is given) has 3 multiply-claimed blocks shared with 1 file.

File System Check Failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Note that the root is currently mounted read-only.

And then some more directions on mounting were given. I tried them with hardly any luck. Can anyone suggest what to do? I remember that I had a cd in the drive when i shut it down the last time it was working. I removed the cd once i saw the file system error message, but no improvement. Can someone clarify?

Thanks!
Nikhil.

#2 2008-05-04 09:35:16

keratos

Re: file system check failed

Arch has detected that one of your partitions (sda5) has not been flushed of data (synchronised) correctly.

This usually happens when the system is not shutdown correctly and data remains in memory buffers, and not flushed to disk - similar to not shutting Windowze down correctly!

If you can, log in as root and enter fcsk -a /dev/sda5

It will need to be mounted rw so if sda5 is your root (/) filesystem, then boot from a liveCD and run the command from there.

#3 2008-05-04 11:26:33

Nikhil

Thanks! worked perfectly.

#4 2008-05-04 11:29:27

keratos

no probs.

for info: please edit you 1st post above and change the title to "[SOLVED] ......"

thanks

#5 2008-07-02 06:04:01

Cotton

keratos wrote:

...It will need to be mounted rw so if sda5 is your root (/) filesystem, then boot from a liveCD and run the command from there.

For the record, generally, it is not safe to run e2fsck on mounted filesystems.

Board footer