You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-04 18:37:16

thayer
Fellow
Website

*woof* All things mutt!

I'm trying to tackle some things that have been nagging at me for a while now...I'm hoping some fellow mutt users can straighten me out.

1. Bind a key to fetch mail
I think I've even seen a muttrc or two that does this, but I can't seem to find anything at the moment.  Thus far I have to patiently wait 2-3 minutes when new mail arrives before I see it, but I'd love to be able to press a key in mutt to manually fetch my mail (e.g. run my getmail script)

2. mutt vs. mutt-ng
I'm currently running mutt, but I've also tried mutt-ng.  Apart from the sidebar feature is there anything that really stands out about mutt-ng? 

Which do you run?

3. fetching/sending mail...which MTA/MDA tools do you use?
Just curious what other mutt users find easy/secure/flexible as MTA/MDAs.  Currently, I'm fetching mail with getmail and sending mail with msmtp.

4. Spam filtering
I don't have anything configured at the moment, but I'd like to get some spam filters setup at some point.  I can enable SA on the server-side to drop flagged email entirely, or I can setup local filtering.  Which do you use and why?

5. Tips & Tricks
Is there anything you'd like to impart to the community that hasn't already been covered extensively in other threads?

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#2 2008-05-04 19:08:52

chimeric
Website

Re: *woof* All things mutt!

thayer wrote:

In my case this is CTRL + $ (if I am not mistaken this is the default).

thayer wrote:

I run postfix and dovecot (IMAP) and am pretty happy with this setup. I am also Planning to use offlineimap to backup my mail.

thayer wrote:

4. Spam filtering
I don't have anything configured at the moment, but I'd like to get some spam filters setup at some point.  I can enable SA on the server-side to drop flagged email entirely, or I can setup local filtering.  Which do you use and why?

ATM I only run policyd-weight. It catches already a lot of SPAM mails but no all of them. I plan to setup SA as well along with a custom mutt mapping which drops SPAM mails that went through into a dedicated directory for sa-learn.

Integrating SPAM tools into postfix is fairly easy, though the only reference I have in regards to setup experience is exim4 which is a complete nightmare wink.

#3 2008-05-04 19:41:59

skymt

thayer wrote:

I think I've even seen a muttrc or two that does this, but I can't seem to find anything at the moment.  Thus far I have to patiently wait 2-3 minutes when new mail arrives before I see it, but I'd love to be able to press a key in mutt to manually fetch my mail (e.g. run my getmail script)

macro index G "!getmail<enter>" 'Get new mail'
thayer wrote:

2. mutt vs. mutt-ng
I'm currently running mutt, but I've also tried mutt-ng.  Apart from the sidebar feature is there anything that really stands out about mutt-ng? 

Which do you run?

The development version of Mutt has most of the things that used to be in Mutt-NG, so there's not much advantage to running that these days. See the Mutt-NG homepage for the remaining differences.

thayer wrote:

Just curious what other mutt users find easy/secure/flexible as MTA/MDAs.  Currently, I'm fetching mail with getmail and sending mail with msmtp.

Mutt has had built-in SMTP support for a while now, so there's not much reason to use msmtp. getmail is still a good mail fetcher, but you should also look into fdm for its built-in procmail-esque sorting/filtering.

thayer wrote:

4. Spam filtering

Gmail filters my spam. tongue

But if that's not an option, I suggest setting up SA or Bogofilter (faster than SA but relies totally on Bayesian techniques) locally to sort to a spam filter. You don't want to drop spam entirely in case of false positives.

#4 2008-05-04 20:04:03

thayer
Fellow
Website

Thanks for the info guys:

chimeric wrote:

That actually kills mutt on my setup (and I haven't changed any of those bindings)

skymt wrote:

macro index G "!getmail<enter>" 'Get new mail'

Update1: Doh! I should pay closer attention...got this working now that I used macro instead of bind. (thanks nj)

skymt wrote:

Mutt has had built-in SMTP support for a while now, so there's not much reason to use msmtp. getmail is still a good mail fetcher, but you should also look into fdm for its built-in procmail-esque sorting/filtering.

Shit! How did I miss that...I'll check it out.

Regarding the filters, I do have some mail being filtered by gmail at the moment, but honestly I don't trust it either--just last night I had 2 valid messages from a fellow archer get flagged as spam.  Considering I can configure SA on my server, I suppose it'd be easiest just to flag messages and process them on the local end.

Thanks again!

Last edited by thayer (2008-05-04 20:22:37)

#5 2008-05-04 20:13:52

nj

Use the keyword macro, not bind.

If you haven't already, look into the limit command. This page has a nice tutorial on it. I use the command all the time to search for emails sent from a specific person. I used mutt for over a year before finding out about this feature, which is a shame because it is really nice.

#6 2008-05-04 20:38:25

thayer
Fellow
Website

nj wrote:

Use the keyword macro, not bind.

If you haven't already, look into the limit command. This page has a nice tutorial on it. I use the command all the time to search for emails sent from a specific person. I used mutt for over a year before finding out about this feature, which is a shame because it is really nice.

Wow, I can already see the potential in this as I just 'tagged and bagged' about 50 emails in my inbox/sent dirs. Great stuff!

#7 2008-05-04 21:17:04

chimeric
Website

thayer wrote:
chimeric wrote:

That actually kills mutt on my setup (and I haven't changed any of those bindings)

ARGH dammit, that was supposed to read SHIFT + $, sorry sad.

#8 2008-05-04 21:26:20

thayer
Fellow
Website

chimeric wrote:
thayer wrote:
chimeric wrote:

ARGH dammit, that was supposed to read SHIFT + $, sorry sad.

Hahaha! That's okay... Actually, Shift + $ just commits any pending changes--so if you've tagged something for deletion, or if mail has been delivered locally already, pressing Shift+$ will commit the deletions and/or refresh the current display.

The !getmail macro was exactly what I needed to actually fetch the mail from my pop accounts.

#9 2008-05-04 21:34:11

dolby

if you want to use it for imap use offlineimap and make a cron job to fetch email for you every say 5 mins. as far as sending email mutt has included smtp support now so no need for an external app if you dont want to.
regarding mutt0ng it also has intergrated nttp support and compressed folders patch which is good for archiving plus other stuff but i value those most

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#10 2008-05-04 22:18:18

chimeric
Website

thayer wrote:

Hahaha! That's okay... Actually, Shift + $ just commits any pending changes--so if you've tagged something for deletion, or if mail has been delivered locally already, pressing Shift+$ will commit the deletions and/or refresh the current display.

I see, seems I've mixed up even more than just the keys wink.

Board footer