You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-06 03:16:22

iBertus

awesome users report on your usage habits and favorite apps

So, I've been wondering what apps users of the awesome window manager are using. I'm trying to get used to the concept of a tiling window manager, but the graphical apps I'm used to look like crap. I've seen some really good looking screenshots of tiling window managers and want to know what people do to make graphical apps look good in tiling window managers.

Last edited by iBertus (2008-05-06 16:01:05)

#2 2008-05-06 03:44:03

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: awesome users report on your usage habits and favorite apps

Your best bet is to read what's posted under those screenshots in the monthly screenshots thread.  Most of it is explained there ad nauseam.

As for me, I use conky piped through awesome-client--you can see my screenshots at our Flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cinderwick/

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#3 2008-05-06 14:37:06

anrxc
Website

what people do to make graphical apps look good in tiling window managers

It has nothing to do with window managers, as the name suggests they just manage windows.

You theme or style your applications depending on which widget toolkit they use; QT, GTK, TK... no matter what window manager or desktop enviroment you are using.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#4 2008-05-06 14:50:22

iBertus

anrxc wrote:

what people do to make graphical apps look good in tiling window managers

It has nothing to do with window managers, as the name suggests they just manage windows.

You theme or style your applications depending on which widget toolkit they use; QT, GTK, TK... no matter what window manager or desktop enviroment you are using.

I don't think you understand me correctly. See, with most WMs you can resize the client windows in bot the X and Y direction. With awesome, have limited control (that I've seen) over the size of client windows and so some apps that are used to this type of control render in a strange fashion. In awesome, the windows tend to be larger in one dimension or the other. I've seen screenshots with nice layouts, however, and wonder how those layouts were achieved.

#5 2008-05-06 15:06:53

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Awww, and here I thought this was a thread for users, who are awesome, to report in.

I was gonna report in. sad

#6 2008-05-06 15:55:10

iBertus

Cerebral wrote:

Awww, and here I thought this was a thread for users, who are awesome, to report in.

I was gonna report in. sad

You can report, we won't mind. tongue

edit: there, I changed the title so that others may not get confused....

Last edited by iBertus (2008-05-06 16:01:47)

#7 2008-05-06 16:03:06

thayer
Fellow
Website

iBertus wrote:

I don't think you understand me correctly. See, with most WMs you can resize the client windows in bot the X and Y direction. With awesome, have limited control (that I've seen) over the size of client windows and so some apps that are used to this type of control render in a strange fashion. In awesome, the windows tend to be larger in one dimension or the other. I've seen screenshots with nice layouts, however, and wonder how those layouts were achieved.

Hrmm, you're right I don't think we quite understand what you are referring to.  Awesome, like most tilers, comes with several default layouts which can be cycled by pressing Modkey+spacebar.  You can tile clients horizontally, vertically, fullscreen, or even float. The float layout is the same as traditional WM's, meaning that you can resize both the X and Y axis--this is commonly used for screenshots because it allows people to pimp their wallpapers, etc. 

Another common 'workaround' for fixing those few applications that look wonky when tiled, is to create rules in your WM config (~/.awesomerc in this case) that will float certain windows, based on their name.  For example, I float the following applications by default:

rules   # forced floats and app2tag placements
{
    rule { name = "alsamixer"                     float = "true"                     }
    rule { name = "Gimp"                          float = "true"    tags = "six"     }
    rule { name = "MPlayer"                       float = "true"                     }
    rule { name = "Acroread"                      float = "true"                     }
    rule { name = "Macromedia Fireworks MX"       float = "true"    tags = "six"     }
    rule { name = "galculator"                    float = "true"                     }
    rule { name = "Gajim"                         float = "true"                     }
    rule { name = "Transmission"                  float = "true"                     }
    rule { name = "volwheel"                      float = "true"                     }

}

Anyway, if this is completely off-topic to what you are looking for then you might want to post or link a screenshot or two as an example.

Last edited by thayer (2008-05-06 16:04:27)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

Board footer