You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-06 05:11:01

mrspin

suddenly very bad x performance and high cpu usage

I had arch (64) working great and the performance was pretty awesome. Everything was instant.
Then at some point i noticed my terminals lagging. It would lag very noticeabley and cpu usage would go way up.
Running top in maximized gnome terminal made the xorg process use 99% cpu, and it lagged horribly. I started noticing similar problems with everything. Resizing windows made a huge jump in cpu usage and it lagged. I thought I had broken something, so I ended up reinstalling all of x and starting over. It was a little better, but not like it was before. I still see the xorg proces taking up large amounts of cpu, just from running something like top, > 10% and resizing windows seems slow again. I started seeing similar issues on my other machine. I had never seen the cpu usage of the xorg process go over 2% before, but simple things send the gnome panel cpu meter all the way up.
Has anyone else seen this? Was there an x update at some point that killed performance? Both machines are nvidia, core2, and pacman says using xorg-server 1.4.0.

#2 2008-06-30 19:00:42

kcbanner
Website

Re: suddenly very bad x performance and high cpu usage

I also am experiencing this same thing. I get 10% X11 cpu usage solid with Firefox 3 open, and it goes up to 70% with sites that have Javascript. Resizing windows is laggy. This never used to happen and its been like this for the past few weeks.

I run dual monitors with xinerama, could this be it?

Core2Duo 2.6ghz, 4gb ram, nvidia 8800gt,  fluxbox, should be no lag but its worse than a 400mhz machine running X.

Last edited by kcbanner (2008-06-30 19:03:21)

#3 2008-06-30 19:12:09

Kai

Hi,

I had a similar problem; setting MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO to "1" should to the trick; at least it does it for me.

#4 2008-07-01 18:12:34

kcbanner
Website

Setting that in console and then starting firefox didn't seem to change anything. Disabling composite in X and disabling xinerama did add some speed but there is still the high X CPU usage.

Board footer