You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-06 19:53:02

sbrinsfi

Configuring Xorg, nvidia driver install for Riva TNT2 64 Failing

Hi,

Trying to install the nvidia-71xx to support my video card and after issuing the pacman -S nvidia-71xx I receive the following errors.

Error: missing package flilelist in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/nvidia-71xx-utils-....... generating one

again 8 more times on various packages..

Then,

cleaning up... done.
(9/9) checking for file conflicts        [###########################################]
error: could not prepare transaction
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
klibc-kbd: /lib/initcpio/hooks/keymap exists in filesystem
klibc-kbd: /lib/initcpio/install/keymap exists in filesystem

errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Can someone please assist?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2008-05-06 20:31:34

synthead

Re: Configuring Xorg, nvidia driver install for Riva TNT2 64 Failing

Run pacman -Sf nvidia-71xx

#3 2008-05-06 20:34:49

sbrinsfi

Thanks,

That got it installed however when I try to run nvidia-xconfig I now receive the error:

bash: nvidia-xconfig: command not found

I did a modprobe for nv and received the error:

FATAL: Module nv not found.

Thoughts?

Last edited by sbrinsfi (2008-05-06 20:40:45)

#4 2008-05-11 07:43:36

synthead

You shouldn't need to probe a module.  The driver you want to be using is called "nvidia" instead of "nv" (which is the open-source alternative).  Actually, it should be called the original because the open source version came out before the official nvidia drivers did, but I'm getting beside the point ...

I'm not sure if the older versions of the nvidia package come with an nvidia-xconfig script, but you can still get your graphics card working without it.  Instead, run "xorgconfig" as root and follow through the options.  There will be several technical questions, be aware!  Most of the questions can be answered with default answers.  In one area, it will ask you for your monitor's maximum horizontal and vertical sync.  You can find these values by running "hwd -s" as root (you will need to install "hwd").  When asked for which driver to use, just use "nv"

Anyway, when you have made /etc/X11/xorg.conf, open it up in an editor like nano or vi.  Scroll down a bit and you'll find an area that reads Section "Device".  Find "nv" in that section and change it to read "nvidia".  Save and run startx!  If you are successful, you'll see an nVidia splash screen.

PS - That logo can be disabled by adding a line that reads Option "NoLogo" "true" under Driver "nvidia" wink

#5 2008-05-11 07:45:02

synthead

Oh by the way, just to make sure your package installed correctly: what is the output of "pacman -Qs nvidia"?

Board footer