You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-08 13:22:58

Flapjack

Adding Arch to a current single-boot box: what about Grub?

Hello,

First off, a big hello to everone in the Arch community! big_smile
I hope this question isn't a stupid one, but I really want to try Arch on my Debian Etch box, without removing Debian, at least for the moment. The plan is to get Arch up and running, test it for a while, and then wipe off Debian should I like Arch. But I'm really nervous about what will happen to Grub. When I installed Debian I put Grub on the MBR. During the Arch install, will Grub automatically configure itself to handle the two operating systems?
Thanks very much for any help

James

#2 2008-05-08 13:54:56

lucke

Re: Adding Arch to a current single-boot box: what about Grub?

It won't configure automatically (unless something has changed in the installer). Just write down Debian's GRUB entry and add it next to Arch's entry when installing.

Welcome to the Archdream!

#3 2008-05-08 13:59:46

Zepp
Website

Or don't install grub again and just modify your grub install to add arch to the menu as well? tongue

#4 2008-05-08 15:09:52

Flapjack

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Just want to check a couple of things:

Just write down Debian's GRUB entry and add it next to Arch's entry when installing.

If I did this solution, would I need to delete Grub from the Debian partition? I mean, I can only have one Grub, right?

Or don't install grub again and just modify your grub install to add arch to the menu as well?

Is the Arch installer so configurable that you can opt not to install Grub? If so, that's very impressive! I don't even remember having that sort of configurability in a Slackware install!

Welcome to the Archdream!

Thanks! I've been hearing lots of good stuff about Arch and have been wanting to try it for a long time. A while ago I thought I'd never use anything but Debian again! Will Arch convert me?

#5 2008-05-08 17:03:30

lucke

Just set Arch's GRUB to the same place you put Debian's (MBR of a first drive, I presume?), it will get overwritten.

Of course, you can choose not to install Arch's GRUB, but then you have to update Debian's with Arch's entry and there's also another step to be made after the possible (as noted by you) removal of Debian.

Lots of people get really hooked on Arch, so there's a good chance you'll love it here too :-) No other option than to try for yourself!

#6 2008-05-08 17:19:44

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Flapjack wrote:

Just write down Debian's GRUB entry and add it next to Arch's entry when installing.

If I did this solution, would I need to delete Grub from the Debian partition? I mean, I can only have one Grub, right?

As I recall, you have the option not to install Grub to the MBR.  I didn't.  My Arch partition has its own /boot partition with its own Grub.  I modified the Ubuntu Grub to add an entry pointing to the Arch partition.  I get 2 grub prompts, but that's fine; I wanted to keep the first Grub as clean as possible, since I planned to install another distro as well.  I eventually made Arch the default entry on the first Grub.  smile

Flapjack wrote:

Will Arch convert me?

Maybe  wink

#7 2008-05-08 17:28:44

japetto

Welcome!

#8 2008-05-08 20:33:20

Flapjack

Thanks very much for these replies and your welcome. 
I started looking into this on LQ, and one of the guys there had a very interesting suggestion. I just wanted to check this out with you here. Here is what he says:

Originally posted by saikee:
Below is the best kept booting secret in Linux for multi booting.

If a user wants to install another Linux in say partition (hd0,5) all it needs to do is to tell the installer to put Grub (or Lilo) inside the root partition or (hd0,5). Then on completion this Linux will fire up as clockwork if the following lines are in the menu.lst of Grub controlling the MBR
Code:

title Linux in in partition (hd0,5)
root (hd0,5)
chainloader +1

It works for every Linux from 2nd to the 200th.

It works for every operating system too, BSD, Solaris, Dos and Windows. Every Dos and Windows installer puts its boot loader in its root partition by default. It just doesn't tell its owner. That is all.

The above is all one needs to know to boot as many systems as one can install in a pC. There is nothing to it.

#9 2008-05-08 21:01:14

tigrmesh
IRC Op

That's what I have in my ubuntu grub (pointing to the correct partition, of course).

#10 2008-05-09 01:02:36

ToastedToad

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda2 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

Here is a default grub entry for Arch (or any distro for that matter), Just enter your info for "root" and kernel location, ie: /dev/sdX.

#11 2008-05-09 02:12:12

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Flapjack wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Just want to check a couple of things:

[...]

Is the Arch installer so configurable that you can opt not to install Grub? If so, that's very impressive! I don't even remember having that sort of configurability in a Slackware install!

That may come to you as a surprise, but imho every installer that installs the boot loader by default is retarded. It always messes up people's dual-boot system. So yes, Arch leaves you the choice, so keep your installed Debian grub, and add an Arch entry to it. Don't fix something that ain't broken - so don't reinstall it.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#12 2008-05-09 14:01:24

Flapjack

Thanks for all your help everyone - I installed Arch with success, using the chainloader method. big_smile That's one mean install! I made a few mistakes, and had to start again a couple of times, but the install took only a few minutes. That's the fastest install I've ever done! Now I'm gonna try and get X up and running.
Thanks once again.

Last edited by Flapjack (2008-05-09 14:01:40)

Board footer