You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-11 10:29:32

xardias

Awesome WM Documentation?

Hi Folks,

I read that many people here are using the awesome WM, I want to give it a try but cannot find any documentation.
The Website says that documentation is written in manpages, but the official Arch packages seem to strip them of the package.

Any place where I can get a simple introduction to awesome? I don't even find a list of basic keyboard shortcuts to close windows/etc.

Regards,
Dennis

#2 2008-05-11 10:57:06

GGLucas

Re: Awesome WM Documentation?

Using `man awesome` should give you a list of default bindings, `man awesomerc` should give you documentation on how the config file is structured and what you can put in there (the example/default config file should be in /usr/share/awesome/awesomerc), Arch doesn't strip man pages, it only strips docs and info pages, so if you don't get the man pages, you might want to check your $MANPATH or other configuration that has to do with man.

Last edited by GGLucas (2008-05-11 10:57:41)

#3 2008-05-11 11:59:25

moljac024

There are quite a few online unix man pages...useful for when you're somewhere on a windows machine (at work for example) smile

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#4 2008-05-11 22:49:29

dante4d

xardias wrote:

Hi Folks,

I read that many people here are using the awesome WM, I want to give it a try but cannot find any documentation.
The Website says that documentation is written in manpages, but the official Arch packages seem to strip them of the package.

Any place where I can get a simple introduction to awesome? I don't even find a list of basic keyboard shortcuts to close windows/etc.

Regards,
Dennis

arch wiki
awesome wiki
keyboard shortcuts
Gigamo's config
Calmar's Awesome Setup
Also, if you look through the monthly screenshots, you can find good reference there (like .Xdefaults files and such).

Awesome seems to change quickly. My amazing is broken now hmm.

Board footer