cartridge
Website

gnome-themes does not work

i upgraded the system and gnoem-themes for gnome 2.2 does not work
1 i tryed to pacman -S gnome-themes and got this:
root@Ragnarock:/home/cartridge# pacman -S gnome-themes
error: cannot resolve dependencies for "gnome-themes":
       "gtk-thinice-engine" is not in the package set

then i logged into the ftp and downloaded gtk-thince-engine and installed manually
then i made pacman -S gnome-themes and it worked
but i still got the same error look:
i exec gnome-theme-manager in gnome and i got a window with this error
No themes could be found on your system. This probably means that your "Theme Preferences" dialog was improperly installed, or you haven't installed the "gnome-themes" package.

2 try, i downloaded thince engine source and gnome-themes source, compiled it, and got the same error.

what is wrong ?
sad please help me :evil:

#2 2003-03-18 23:03:58

sarah31
Website

Re: gnome-themes does not work

this is just a guess but it may be that the order in which gnome was installed. what you could try is running :

pacman -S `/ls/bin` 

(note those are forward quote marks!) from within the /usr/abs/gnome directory. this will install all of the gnome packages and hopefully in the correct order. with the arrival of the new gnome there have been a few packages added and many dependency changes.

i have gnome installed myself but i have not used it as of yet so i cannot confirm for sure that your problem is common or unique.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-03-18 23:30:33

BluPhoenyx

I think the problem is gtk2 related. The Gnome package uses /opt/gnome for everything including the gtk2 engines and themes. The standard for gtk2 is /usr/lib/gtk-2.0 for the engines and /usr/share/themes as a common place for gtk1 and gtk2 themes. The thinice packages use the /usr directory. You should be able to fix this by changing the PKGBUILD.

./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome

This is actually a problem since the gtk engines pkg also use the default directories. One possible hack would be to create symlinks to the regular gtk paths so Gnome can access all the gtk themes and engines. I have not tried this though so it might have it's own set of problems.

BluPhoenyx

#4 2003-10-25 15:54:04

vande198

I actually got the gnome themes to work by replacing /opt/gnome with /usr and /usr/share to just plain /share in the gnome-themes, gnome-themes-extras, and gnome-icon-themes PKGCONFIG files.  That made the gtk2 and icon themes but neither the metacity themes nor the gtk interface icons (i.e. the button icons ["up," "back," etc., in gtk2 themes that use icons other than the default, like nuvola).  Are the latter two contained in some other package?

P.S. the different gtk2 engines DO work this way, it's just that on themes that use different button icons end up with the "broken" icon in there instead.

"To be a Spartan is to be a philosopher much more than to be an athlete."
Plato, the <i>Protagoras</i>, 342e-343a

#5 2003-10-26 15:57:05

RdsArts

I got them working here. It took a bit of moving stuff about, and a recompile of GTK+2 for SVG support to get it all working.

Bug and links to patches against the /var/abs tree here.

Board footer