You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-12 16:12:24

Zanton

New config : what to backup/restore ?

Hi all,

Here is a new problem I'm confronted to : I have to change my comp coz the motherboard seems to have some troubles. I decided to upgrade all my config (old pc) so I'll buy a new motherboard, proc, video card, hard disk, etc.

Is it possible to keep most of my current arch install ? Kernel won't work I guess, but is there a way to keep all the packages, configuration files, etc. and to just install the needed parts ? My /home is backed up and will be restored on a dedicated partition.

Thanks for helping smile

#2 2008-05-12 16:49:36

hacosta

Re: New config : what to backup/restore ?

if the old pc still works, you can set up an nfs server and mount {OLDPC}/var/cache/pacman/pkg in {NEWPC}/var/cache/pacman/pkg, that should work nicely, about what to backup, i usually have a ~/etc where i keep all my .files that i have modified and symlink them to avoid saving useless clutter of default configs, however if you have not done this you can just backup /etc (important files: rc.conf, pacman.conf X11/xorg.conf, abs.conf, anb baasically whatever you have modified that is not {OLDPC} specific... if you, however don't remember, just make a tar file of /etc and keep getting needed files on demand.

oh i almost forgot, there's a wiki article about sharing your cache
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Net … cman_Cache

good luck

#3 2008-05-12 17:02:56

Zanton

The old pc won't be up again because I keep the box for the new one.

However I have a NAS (CIFS) I can use to do what you suggest. Can you be a little more precise when you say "mount {OLDPC}/var/cache/pacman/pkg in {NEWPC}/var/cache/pacman/pkg" ?
You use it only the first time and then pacman knows what pkg to retrieve or am I totally wrong ? ^^ I don't think I need to have a cache shared over my network.

Thanks smile

#4 2008-05-12 19:13:40

turing

There could be a problem if you use another sata controller. All other stuff should work, perhaps you have to repacman the kernel.

#5 2008-05-13 15:00:23

Zanton

That could be troublesome : I'm using IDE for my disks, so I don't have any sata controller on my motherboard. Or it's "better" as sata controllers can't conflict ? smile

Board footer