You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-12 19:21:08

kjon

[Wish] Pacman, exclude by group

Hi to the people, the programmers and "the overlord":

I would like to add something to pacman's wishlist, and is the feature of exluding certain packages when installing groups. For instance, when I -S gnome-extra, it installs the whole content and, the commandline, tends to get to tedious when I want to exclude a single, o maybe a couple of packages from it. Would be possible to include a feature like this one?

Thanks.

P.S. If you don't get the idea, try to install gnome-extra, excluding yelp. The only way I know to perform this is:

pacman -Sg gnome-extra | grep -v gnome-extra | grep -v yelp | xargs pacman -S {} --noconfirm

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#2 2008-05-12 19:24:50

ozar

Re: [Wish] Pacman, exclude by group

You can use the --ignore option to exclude packages.

Check man pacman and see if that will work for you.

Edit: after reading your post again, I might not have understood you properly.  Is that what you meant?

Last edited by ozar (2008-05-12 19:27:56)

oz

#3 2008-05-12 19:40:37

shining
Pacman Developer

ozar wrote:

You can use the --ignore option to exclude packages.

Check man pacman and see if that will work for you.

Edit: after reading your post again, I might not have understood you properly.  Is that what you meant?

From what I understood, your answer is correct.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#4 2008-05-12 20:19:08

dolby

Yelp is part of the gnome group not gnome extra. Also if you answer No in the question if you want to install the whole content you get asked individually for each package member of the group.
So heres 2 ways to do it using only pacman.

Last edited by dolby (2008-05-12 20:19:23)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#5 2008-05-13 02:10:54

kjon

ok guys. Thanks a lot. I didn't know that trick.

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

Board footer