You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-13 10:17:29

ilovefridge

Changing the default file manager in XFCE

How would I go about using Nautilus as the default file manager in XFCE instead of Thunar? I know it can be started up with 'nautilus --no-desktop', but how do I make this the default when opening folders from the desktop, menus, etc..?

The main reason I want to do this is because Thunar doesn't seem to remember a folders last setting. For example, there are folders which I would like to permanently view as a list, sorted by date; but there are plenty of other folders where this is not suitable. Nautilus remembers settings for each folder, Thunar doesn't, and it gets annoying changing the view mode each time. Also network browsing is easier in Nautilus, and I also like the way it tells you how fast file transfers are going.

Thanks very much,

#2 2008-05-13 14:20:01

bgc1954

Re: Changing the default file manager in XFCE

Well, it might be considered a dirty hack but it has worked for me in gnome before so it should also work in xfce.  Just edit the thunar.desktop file in /usr/share/applications and replace the Exec=thunar to Exec=nautilus --no-desktop and save the file.  Then any time thunar is launched, nautilus will be launched instead.

Otherwise, you can edit the menu with the menu editor and change the File manager command and do the same in the panel icon properties.  Both methods will work.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

Board footer