You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-13 14:09:02

low

bmpx functionality

I got a little tired of mpd+sonata so I decided to look around for another music player. I installed bmpx and I liked it at first but after using it for a while I think I'm going to keep looking:

1. When you add songs to a playlist, the view switches to the playlist, forcing you to switch back to library view where it has reset your browsing so you have to start all over again... If you are trying to make a large playlist with a variety of artists/albums, this becomes a HUGE pain.

2. There is no playlist manager. Instead you are allowed only one playlist. You can export playlists, but you still have to load them individually instead of having a database/collection of all of your playlists.

3. The same problem I had with sonata, there is no library view. This is what I like about songbird, that I am able to view a list of ALL the songs in my library instead of being forced to sort through by artist/album/genre etc.

4. The equalizer sucks. There are no presets and whenever I enable it, my sound cracks and pops, might just be me and my setup though, but I am using alsa/pulse.

5. Above all, it crashes, I know it is developmental, but I don't think it is stable enough to be in the 'extra' repo (at least .40.13, it's been updated recently but hasn't made it to the repo yet).

/rant cool

I don't know if I'm just overlooking these features, but I've gone through the program numerous times, and the selling point of bmpx is that it is excruciatingly easy to use soooooooooooooo I doubt I missed anything.

#2 2008-05-15 01:57:40

Lyceuhns

Re: bmpx functionality

Maybe it's more accepted on bmpx forum, and more information you can take from the bmpx website.

I was trying a lot of players, and i liked a lot of bmpx, but still VERY unstable, the mine here always crash on startup, and nothing could fix this. So i'm waiting for the 0.40.14, but it's not in Pacman yet, and i tried compile it from source, but the numbers of errors made me quit it.

I hope the new version is more stable, let's wait for...

o/

Last edited by Lyceuhns (2008-05-15 01:58:56)

#3 2008-05-15 04:31:47

sacamano_m82

Take a look at consonance - a player that I am developing right now.
I have a couple of PKGBUILDs in AUR that you can use.

It is a bit primitive and might lack functionality that is usually taken for granted in a music manager,
but it will be robust in due time.

Last edited by sacamano_m82 (2008-05-15 04:33:50)

#4 2008-05-15 12:58:08

Lyceuhns

sacamano_m82 wrote:

Take a look at consonance - a player that I am developing right now.
I have a couple of PKGBUILDs in AUR that you can use.

It is a bit primitive and might lack functionality that is usually taken for granted in a music manager,
but it will be robust in due time.

Yeah, really very useful.

GIve it a try.

o/

#5 2008-05-16 13:05:08

low

Looks like a great start, but I agree, it is still too primitive. Good luck though!

#6 2008-05-16 13:18:13

tomk
Forum Fellow

low - if you do as suggested here, your rant might achieve something. I'm sure it's satisfying for you to air your feelings, but unless a bmpx developer happens to read it, there's no chance of anything being done about it.

#7 2008-05-16 15:40:40

GogglesGuy
Website

Well, there are more programs you could try to use, if bmpx doesn't do what you want...

Board footer