You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-14 18:07:11

caved

wine 1.0 rc1 and other versions not networking or finding any servers

Hi guys,
I am banging my head against the wall because i can't seem to solve my wine networking problem.
It just won't connect from any game to outside servers and i seem to be the only one with this problem.
I have compiled and installed Wine 1.0 rc 1, but the same problem occurs with 0.9.61 so it is NOT my wine
install. Been to IRC #archlinux and #winehq and no one seems to have this problem nor a possible solution to it.

I am using a static network connection and have tap/tun networking running for my virtual box install (well in a script for
when i start vbox), been also playing with the hosts config file as per wine wiki to no avail.

Arch Linux guru aka Wine master , if ur out there .... I really could use your help now sad
Even if someone could test if they got the same issue would be helpfull... post.

Greetz
Caved

#2 2008-05-14 21:54:24

Procyon

Re: wine 1.0 rc1 and other versions not networking or finding any servers

Thought I'd give rc 1 a try then, coming from 0.9.59. And Counter Strike wouldn't even load up, so I killed it, and now Steam won't load at all.
Installing 0.9.59 again didn't fix it either.

All my other games work though, but only Counter Strike Source is multiplayer.

#3 2008-05-15 06:43:59

caved

Hey Procyon, thanks for your reply.

Wine is not the issue here, i have used local wine packages i saved from the past and were KNOWN to
network, and while wine is not perfect it is not the reason for the networking problem.
I have installed HalfLife 2 to test wine 1.0 rc1 itself and it runs perfectly as it always did.

Another testing is the custom kernel tailored to my system, it is an older .config of which i know to work
with wine networking in the past and i also tested this with a saved older kernel that i used a while back.
The fact that i can a) fully network in Arch Linux combined with b) fully networking within vbox(tun/tap),
c) mount and use every single share in my home network including the vbox shares leads me to beliefe
that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my networking settings nor my home network at all.

The only things i can think of that might be wrong is:
1) Arch Linux changed its internals for networking which may have introduced a bug that wasn't there
in previous versions.
2) My router downstairs is blocking the port that wine tries to use to connect to a server. (i checked the router
logs but found nothing strange here either)

Anyway i am still stuck with this issue /sigh

Not sure if this helps but when i run wine from a term i get the following msg when it tries to connect to a server:
WARNING: Trying to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this will fail unless you have special permissions.

Somewhat strange since my user has every permission to network....

Greetz
Caved

Last edited by caved (2008-05-15 06:51:09)

#4 2008-05-15 10:11:18

Procyon

I don't know what happened yesterday to steam/wine, but today (without even logging out) it works fine again (rc 1).

Board footer