You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-15 22:37:28

raul_nds

Help with acpi

So I finally got my Packard Bell laptop Fn keys working (only brightness worked). How? I installed lapsus. I figured that since PB and Asus share the same webcam driver, why not the same Fn keys? Anyway, this led to a couple of questions:

First:

lapsusd requires that acpid is running. However, I have acpi installed, and when I try to start acpid, it complains that acpi is running, so I have to kill it. What exactly is the difference between these two?

Second:

The brightness keys have no "limit". If I keep pressing the brightness+ key, it cranks up to the maximum brightness and then starts over from the lowest. How can I limit this?

ALSO,

how can I have KDE showing the OSD whenever those events happen?

#2 2008-05-15 23:52:23

raul_nds

Re: Help with acpi

Ok a little update.

I found out that lapsus gets its backlight config values from

[raul@horus hotkey-setup]$ locate brightness
/etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/lcd-brightness.conf
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/max_brightness
/sys/class/backlight/asus-laptop/actual_brightness
/sys/class/backlight/asus-laptop/brightness
/sys/class/backlight/asus-laptop/max_brightness

So I tried replacing the asus-laptop/ files with the acpi_video0/ files (the ones that work) and I get permission denied. Any ideas?

#3 2008-05-16 04:44:46

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

Hmm... I don't know if what you're trying would help or not, but to move/copy the files you'd have to us su/sudo (non-root users can't edit /sys)

something like:

sudo cp /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/actual_brightness /sys/class/backlight/asus-laptop/actual_brightness

although once again, I don't know whether that will work or what effect it may have on the system.

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#4 2008-05-16 07:53:29

hennes

raul_nds wrote:

So I finally got my Packard Bell laptop Fn keys working (only brightness worked). How? I installed lapsus. I figured that since
Second:

The brightness keys have no "limit". If I keep pressing the brightness+ key, it cranks up to the maximum brightness and then starts over from the lowest. How can I limit this?

I use a custom script that takes the minimum and maximum brightness. It get's called by acpid. Look here for my /etc/acpi/handler.sh and the brightness script (not up to date though, but you'll get the idea).

Board footer