You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-16 21:24:21

ninjaprawn

[solved]no sound in vlc after change to fluxbox!!

hi,

im in the process of changing from kde to fluxbox. ive been using arch with kde for about 4 months, but got annoyed at memory consumption!! vlc was fine in kde.

i installed fluxbox, and used the existing kde programs to get me going in fluxbox, but over the last couple of days, i have swapped one kde app out for another app in (e.g. konqueror out - pcmanfm in) ive been using xmms for my music at which point i uninstalled amarok, but decided i wanted to watch a film, so.....
i got vlc going and the picture was there, but no sound!! so....
i reinstalled vlc, no difference!
i tried mplayer, no sound!
i then went to youtube.com and again, no sound!

so basically, i get sound out of xmms, but nothing else!! i havent played with any config files, i have just set a couple of apps to autostart, and installed about 5 apps thru pacman!!

any suggestion or advice would be extremely well appreciated!

thanks!

Last edited by ninjaprawn (2010-02-18 14:57:29)

2007 - Started using Arch Linux as my only/main OS
- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD
On board intel Graphics & Sound

#2 2008-05-16 21:52:02

ninjaprawn

Re: [solved]no sound in vlc after change to fluxbox!!

ok, i just went back into kde, fired up vlc before i did anythin else and sound! so went back into fluxbox, did the same, and sound in vlc!!! thought ok, it just needed X restarting! but then fired up xmms, and nothin else would produce sound!!

it seems like xmms is taking over the whole sound server and nothing else can use sound as long as its running! even if xmms isnt playing, but just running! is there a way around this? or can someone recommend another music player?

- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD

#3 2008-05-16 21:57:18

ninjaprawn

Re: [solved]no sound in vlc after change to fluxbox!!

sorry, i fixed it! i went into xmms settings, and changed the sound driver to 'alsa'

Board footer