You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-16 23:55:41

The Avatar of Time

[SOLVED] HPLIP- PPD file not found.

Hello all,

I am trying to install an HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One. I have used HPLIP in Ubuntu before to install it and it worked fine. However, I do not seem to be able to get it to work here in Arch.

I installed hplip through pacman, which seemed to work fine.

Upon typing:

sudo hp-setup

I select USB as the printer I want to detect, and that goes fine. It sees that I have an 'HP Officejet 5600 series' and after clicking next I get a 'PPD file not found' error.

I try the 'Select Other' option, but there is no PPD file relating to the 5610 AIO or even the 5600 series. I also went to linuxprinting.org to try and find a PPD file, but there doesn't seem to be one for this printer.

As I say, I know that the printer/scanner/fax-everything worked just fine in Ubuntu, so I am sure that it can be accomplished here. I must just be missing something simple.

Does anyone have any idea as to how I can get the appropriate PPD file, or which one of the listed ones might work instead? The only Officejet that I see listed is the 'hp_officejet_9100_series-ps.ppd.gz', does that sound like a reasonable choice?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I should have mentioned that I am running Arch64, in case that has some bearing on the issue.

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2008-07-28 08:30:40)

#2 2008-05-17 07:32:01

luca

Re: [SOLVED] HPLIP- PPD file not found.

I have the same problem with the same printer; you can find the ppd file here
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cg … ceJet_5600
(copy it in /usr/share/ppd/HP/); but even if I choose the correct driver I can't install the printer:
the error message is "Printer queue setup failed. Please restart cups and try again"

#3 2008-05-17 07:53:22

The Avatar of Time

Thanks for the link. I have the exact same problem as you now. I have no idea what the trouble with this is.

#4 2008-05-17 08:10:02

luca

I build the new version of hplip (2.8.5) and now I can install the printer (the ppd file is not necessary anymore).
But now there is a communication problem: only as root I can view the status of the printer.
I think that the udev rule is too restrictive; in /etc/udev/rules.d/55-hpmud.rules I have this:

SYSFS{idVendor}=="03f0", SYSFS{idProduct}=="??11", OWNER="root", GROUP="lp", MODE="0666"

but the device is owned by root:root

#5 2008-05-17 08:20:38

The Avatar of Time

I see. So you can use it just fine now, apart from the status issue?

Could you tell me what is involved in building the new version? I don't have much experience doing that.

#6 2008-05-17 08:34:28

luca

Unfortunately I can't print as normal user.
I have uploaded the package here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/115495973/h … ar.gz.html

Last edited by luca (2008-05-17 08:34:40)

#7 2008-05-17 08:45:06

luca

ok, found the problem: the 55-hpmud.rules has the right permissions (root:lp mode 0666) but for some reason
they aren't applied. I have changed these permissions manually and the printer works fine (even hp-toolbox).

#8 2008-05-17 10:16:49

luca

My printer now works fine: perform these steps in order to resolve the problem:
1) in /etc/udev/rules.d/55-hpmud.rules change every SYSFS string with ATTRS:
so it should be:

ATTRS{idVendor}=="03f0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="??11", OWNER="root", GROUP="lp", MODE="0666"

2) as root run:

sed -i -r 's|echo *-e.*/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug|echo "" > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug|'  /lib/initcpio/udev/start_udev

3) rebuilt initramfs:

mkinitcpio -p kernel26

4) reboot

For step 2) 3) see this: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 51#p361451

#9 2008-05-18 06:22:54

The Avatar of Time

Well, I am still having the same problem. I am running Arch64, so I can't use that package you linked to.

I have the hplip from the repositories, and I have got the ppd file. I just completed the four steps you mentioned, but I still get the 'Printer queue setup failed. Please restart cups and try again" error.

Is using the hplip from the repositories what my problem is? I tried getting the automatic installer from here: http://hplip.sourceforge.net/downloads.html
but I am not sure that it will work, because of asking you to 'select the most similar distro to yours', which I have no idea what that would be. I am going to try the manual installer from the same link and see if that helps.

Any other ideas?

#10 2008-05-18 07:24:45

luca

Hi,
you must rebuild hplip package yourself; follow these steps:
1) go to http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/h … ra-x86_64/ and save all these files in a empty directory
2) edit PKGBUILD and change pkgver to 2.8.5 and pkgver to 1; save the file
3) from a console cd into the directory where you saved all the files and type:

makepkg -g

you should have now a new MD5 for the package; edit the PKGBUILD and update the md5sums with the new one; save the file
4) now type

makepkg

and wait until the new package is built
5) upgrade the package with (as root user):

pacman -U hplip-2.8.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz

6) now you can follow my previous post

#11 2008-05-18 20:37:03

The Avatar of Time

Hello again,

Okay I got the files and rebuilt and upgraded the package. Then I followed the original post and rebooted. However, I still get the error when I try to install the printer.

Any ideas of what I did wrong?

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2008-05-19 07:36:51)

#12 2008-05-23 22:02:41

sim4lin

luca wrote:

...but the device is owned by root:root

Hello,

If you have "/etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules.pacsave", try changing it to:
"/etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules", then reboot.

ASRock N68C-GS FX motherboard
AMD X2 240 @ 2.8G
Nvidia 9500GT @ 1G
Kingston 800Mhz DDR2 @ 4G

#13 2008-05-27 14:42:48

The Avatar of Time

sim4lin: Thanks for the idea, I checked it out. However, I do not have "/etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules.pacsave" or "/etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules". I have a "05-udev-early.rules" and a "05-udev-default.rules". Those would be about the closest thing. Is perhaps not having said file the problem?

Also as to luca's instructions, when I followed the instructions that you gave I was using the repository version of HPLIP and also I was curious as to whether I should have un-installed/removed HPLIP before attempting your instructions?

Any other ideas would be appreciated. I am thinking of removing all related packages and trying again from scratch. However, how do I delete the packages so that when I try to reinstall them they re-download also? Right now I save copies, but I don't know where they are or how to get rid of them. I know that ALL of them can be gotten rid of with something like 'pacman -Scc' but I don't want to delete all packages, just select ones. Thanks.

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2008-05-27 23:42:49)

#14 2008-05-27 15:04:17

luca

Hi The avatar of Time,
it's not necessary to uninstall the previous version of hplip package; you can
upgrade easily with pacman (see point 5 of my procedure).
All downloaded and installed packages are saved in this directory:

/var/cache/pacman/pkg/

to remove a package use (as root):

pacman -R <packagename>

(without < and >)

#15 2008-05-28 17:56:26

The Avatar of Time

luca wrote:

Hi The avatar of Time,
it's not necessary to uninstall the previous version of hplip package; you can
upgrade easily with pacman (see point 5 of my procedure).
All downloaded and installed packages are saved in this directory:

/var/cache/pacman/pkg/

to remove a package use (as root):

pacman -R <packagename>

(without < and >)

Thanks for the reply. What version of Cups are you using? I was wondering if downgrading Cups would help with my problem? I read this https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/162196 and it seems that I should downgrade to cups 1.3.3. However, I have not managed to find where to get an older version of Cups to downgrade to.

I have tried everything you have mentioned so far with no luck. Do you think that downgrading Cups will help me? Any other ideas to what I may have missed or done wrong? Thanks.

#16 2008-05-28 18:25:32

ninian
Website

Don't know whether this may be relevant or not, but I found that I had to downgrade hplip to 2.7.10 in order to get my HP PSC 500 scanner/printer/copier scanning okay. Please have a look at: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=49170
hmm

#17 2008-05-31 23:49:09

The Avatar of Time

ninian wrote:

Don't know whether this may be relevant or not, but I found that I had to downgrade hplip to 2.7.10 in order to get my HP PSC 500 scanner/printer/copier scanning okay. Please have a look at: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=49170
hmm

Thanks for the reply. That helped a bit. I have the printer going now. It printed out a nice test page. However, I tried to print this page and it was very odd. The avatars printed off fine, and the stuff at the top, except for the Arch banner. The comments though just had a few odd symbols where the comments should be.

I really don't know how to explain it. I can try to scan on some screen shots of the pages it printed if needed. Does anyone have any idea of what the problem could be? Thanks.

#18 2008-06-01 13:33:17

ninian
Website

hmm Maybe try another driver from the selection offered for your printer?
(I always have to select 'foomatic/hpijs' or else I get some odd results. )
How does the print/preview in Firefox or your other browser appear compared with the printed version?
But it does seem very encouraging if the test page printed okay.

#19 2008-06-01 17:11:43

The Avatar of Time

Thanks for the reply.

Well this is all rather odd. I checked and I had chosen 'foomatic/hpijs'. So I tried printing this thread again. No more odd characters. Apart from some seriously awful fonts (it is not printing the fonts that I actually see on the page) the page prints more or less normal. Also though, the Arch Linux banner does not show up, and Home, Forums, etc. do but they don't print right. There should be a black and a blue bar over the Home, Forums, etc., but it doesn't show up. I tried printing a third time and got the same weird characters as the first time.

So what do you think the problem with this is? I find it strange that it almost works once, then works weird, and I'm sure if I try enough times I will get another decent page. So I am lost here. The scanner seems to be working fine though. So there is definite progress, after all the printer works now. I assume that it is some language of font problem. I really have no idea though. Any more help is appreciated. Thanks.

I was gonna include screenshots but I don't seem to be able to figure out how to do that. Help please smile

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2008-06-01 17:14:11)

#20 2008-06-01 17:23:06

ninian
Website

Strange ... did you restart CUPS before printing, using the command:

# /etc/rc.d/cups restart

I wouldn't rely on a printout from a browser as a test - there are too many variables. How does (say) a test document print from a text editor such as KWrite or Kedit; or even a .ODT document from OpenOffice.org?

I've always just used KSnapshot to take screenshots and then uploaded the files to ImageShack at http://imageshack.us/ specifying the URLs in the forum post. wink

#21 2008-06-01 19:29:23

The Avatar of Time

Thanks for the reply. I did not restart CUPS before printing. Well, actually I guess I would have when I restarted. I had printed the first 'weird' page, restarted, then printed the next two (one of which was halfway normal, the other of course was not). I have CUPS in my DAEMONS in /etc/rc.conf, if that is relevant.

Well I tested a couple Open Office documents, one with images, one without. They printed fine except that they don't use the proper fonts. I assume that that is a matter of installing fonts for the printer? So then it seems that it is just printing from Firefox that presents the problem. The downside being, printing from Firefox is the primary use of my printer. For installation guides and what not.

Before when I had the printer installed in Ubuntu it printed from Firefox just fine. Except that it always cut off the top line that has the URL and page (or I guess that's what is on it?), and I think there was an issue with the fonts there as well. Point being I have printed successfully from Firefox in the past.

I can't think what would cause a problem like this. Probably something pretty simple. Thanks for all the help provided so far getting the printer going. Anymore ideas to fix this issue would be great. Thanks.

#22 2008-07-28 08:29:28

The Avatar of Time

Hello again,

Just stumbled back across this thread and realized that it wasn't marked as 'Solved'.

I have the printer working fine now by following all of the above instructions.

The only problem that I still have is that the printer doesn't like to print webpages. The forums pages are the worst, but even the Arch Wiki pages don't print entirely right. They are readable and all so I guess it's fine for the most part.

I would think that it is some sort of font or language problem, but the original problem is 'Solved' so I guess that's that. Thanks for all the help on this.

If I ever get webpages printing properly I shall include that info here, just to be thorough.

Board footer