You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-17 18:09:46

carandraug

Groups confusion and messed fonts

Hi!

I got a new old computer (I borrowed it from my boss now but it's a bit old) and I'm installing Arch on it. I'm using it to learn how Arch works before using it on my laptop which is currently running Ubuntu. I just can't risk having my laptop not working and it's a bit low in disk space for dual boot.

I'm having two problems that I can't solve. One is related to setting groups and the other is related to fonts (as you probably figured by the tittle of the topic)

1) Groups related problem

I want all the users to belong to the same group instead of having a group for each one. There's a bunch of things that I want everyone being able to do and only a few things that only a few would be able to do.

Edit: The following text that is quoted as from me, is what I wrote here before I edited this post. It doesn't make much sense now that I think of it.  By adding a group to another group that way, I would be adding a user named users (that doesn't exist) to the group audio. Is there a way to do it? To add a group to another group instead of a bunch of users?

carandraug wrote:

So, when add a user I make them belong to gid 100 which is named "users" by default. I went before to "/etc/group" and added "users" (the gid users, not the users name) to all the groups that I think it makes sense to everyone belong to. If I think that there's some other group that a specific user should belong to, I add his username to that group too.

That said, I made myself belong to gid 100 and in the "/etc/group", I added "users" (the gid users, not the users name) to, between other groups, audio.

audio::92:users

When I try "alsamixer" as a normal user it gives me

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

I have sound as root, and so do my normal user if I specifically add him on "/etc/group" as in

audio::92:users,carandraug

Maybe the groups don't work as I thought they did or maybe I'm missing something in all this. If someone knows where my problem is that would be great

2) Fonts related problem

I'm having some problems with characters like the apostrophe.
In my "rc.conf" I have

LOCALE="en_IE.utf8"
[...]
KEYMAP="uk"
CONSOLEFONT=
CONSOLEMAP=

When I run "locale -a" I get

C
POSIX
en_IE
en_IE.iso88591
en_IE.iso885915@euro
en_IE.utf8
en_IE@euro

I already changed my locale between those. For example, in the man pages, instead of the apostrophe it shows me:
"˧" modifier letter mid tone bar when I have the locale as "en_IE", "en_IE.iso88591", "en_IE.iso885915@euro" or "en_IE@euro"
an white rectangle with a white question mark inside when I have the locale as "en_IE.utf8"

Edit: In the mean time it occurred to me that maybe it doesn't make much sense to add a group to a group that way because I would be adding a user named users (that doesn't exist) to the group audio. Is there anyway to do it?

Last edited by carandraug (2008-05-26 09:03:09)

Miss your loved ones?
You don't have to. RJX-21 laser scope.

#2 2008-05-17 18:58:53

kishd

Re: Groups confusion and messed fonts

as root

gpasswd -a user group

i.e.
gpasswd -a your-user-name audio

Edit /etc/locale.gen and uncomment en_GB.UTF-8 or whatever locale you require. then as root run locale-gen.

edit /etc/rc.conf and set the locale="en_GB.UTF-8"

reboot

Last edited by kishd (2008-05-17 19:06:54)

---for there is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so....
Hamlet, W Shakespeare

#3 2008-05-17 19:29:30

carandraug

kishd wrote:

as root

gpasswd -a user group

i.e.
gpasswd -a your-user-name audio

But that will add the user to the group audio which is not what I want. I can even do it by changing the text file myself as I stated in the previous post. What I want is a group (let's say "students") that includes several users and then be able to remove all users that belong to "students" from, for example the group audio, by removing "students" from the audio group in the "/etc/rc.conf".

kishd wrote:

Edit /etc/locale.gen and uncomment en_GB.UTF-8 or whatever locale you require. then as root run locale-gen.

edit /etc/rc.conf and set the locale="en_GB.UTF-8"

reboot

I've done it before. I even posted in the previous post the output of "locale -a" so you know that the locales have been generated. The only difference is that I uncommented the locales from Ireland instead the locales from Great Britain.

Miss your loved ones?
You don't have to. RJX-21 laser scope.

#4 2008-05-17 20:34:06

kishd

Misread your original post. I should not have replied so quickly especially when I am tired. big_smile

---for there is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so....
Hamlet, W Shakespeare

#5 2011-02-17 05:59:52

mcmonkeys1

i was having similar problems, running

setxkbmap -layout ie

worked for me.

#6 2011-02-17 07:15:31

tomk
Forum Fellow

Groups don't function the way you want - or more specifically, you can't add a group to another group, or remove a group from another group. Also, there are no group-related settings in /etc/rc.conf.

The functionality you want could be provided by creating a script for it, or you could look into Access control lists as an alternative solution.

Board footer