You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-20 22:57:57

synthead

Arch Linux being used for Point of Sale terminals?

There's a 90% chance that we're going to be getting in some new point of sale terminals for our retail store.  They're standard x86 platforms that include a touchscreen, a card reader, thermal printer, a cash drawer, barcode scanner, external screen, and the like.  It would be killer to install Arch on them and work them out to be completely functional terminals.  Have any of you guys heard of some good point-of-sale software for Linux?  I'm looking to do the basics, you know, scan a product, have it come up on a screen, calculate totals with tax, run a credit card, print a receipt ... that kind of thing.

#2 2008-05-20 23:50:42

Ruckus

Re: Arch Linux being used for Point of Sale terminals?

synthead wrote:

There's a 90% chance that we're going to be getting in some new point of sale terminals for our retail store.  They're standard x86 platforms that include a touchscreen, a card reader, thermal printer, a cash drawer, barcode scanner, external screen, and the like.  It would be killer to install Arch on them and work them out to be completely functional terminals.  Have any of you guys heard of some good point-of-sale software for Linux?  I'm looking to do the basics, you know, scan a product, have it come up on a screen, calculate totals with tax, run a credit card, print a receipt ... that kind of thing.

I'm interested in this as well.

#3 2008-05-21 05:04:38

judfilm

Have you looked at Openbravo POS or opentaps?

Last edited by judfilm (2008-05-22 05:30:02)

#4 2008-05-27 18:13:28

synthead

I'm trying Openbravo POS right now, thanks for the link!  It's a rough road getting it to work right and certain things still don't function.  Serial devices are teh suck.  But I've posted a therad or two over at the openbravo forums, hopefully we can get it to work.  It seems perfect for our needs.

#5 2008-05-28 19:23:06

synthead

I ran it as root out of curiosity, and my serial devices came to life.  This makes me wonder: my pos user is in the group tty, but still can't access the serial devices.  It's a java app, does this make a difference?

Board footer