You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-21 07:07:53

B-Con
Website

Phosphor screensaver freezes

From an idea I saw go through on Digg a while ago, I've set up xscreensaver to display random source code from my Linux source directory. Using the Phosphor screensaver, I pull input via:

cat `find /usr/src/linux/ -name '*.c' | LANG=C sort -R | head -n 1`

However, I have a problem. On my desktop, if I leave the screensaver running for an extended period of time (exact time varies, but I've always seen it between 1 and 4 hours) the screensaver freezes, completely. The screen freezes and I can't do anything. Worse, even if I SSH into my computer and kill X *still* nothing happens. I'm always forced to reboot.

The funny thing is, though, I maintain a virtually identical installation of Arch on my laptop and my screensaver has never crashed on there, even when running for over 16 hours.

I've tried switching between Xscreensaver and GnomeScreensaver, same problem. If I use a different screensaver (ie, not Phosphor) then I don't have any problems. I've tried checking xscreensaver error output but found none. I've Googled for Phosphor freezing bugs, but found none.

Any ideas as to why only the Phosphor screensaver isn't working, and why it's only my desktop? I can only assume that it's a minor bug of some sort unique to my computer.

Last edited by B-Con (2008-05-21 07:10:09)

Board footer