You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-21 10:02:12

regnskog

Just installed awesome and in need of much help

It seems very cool and fast and all but..
As soon as I tried it I couldn't anymore type my 'Swedish characters' nor the piping character (looks like this: l). All my other keys seem to do what they're supposed to do though :S Any advice on this?

Also does awesome handle my background image? Because when I started it I got back the ugly KDE background you get from a fresh install. I would check if konqueror is running in the background and drawing that background, but as I said I can't type "ps -A <piping character> grep konqueror" anymore sad

EDIT: alright, seems like Alt gr doesn't work at all

Thank you!

Last edited by regnskog (2008-05-21 10:05:01)

#2 2008-05-21 13:10:41

Rasi
Website

Re: Just installed awesome and in need of much help

regnskog wrote:

It seems very cool and fast and all but..
As soon as I tried it I couldn't anymore type my 'Swedish characters' nor the piping character (looks like this: l). All my other keys seem to do what they're supposed to do though :S Any advice on this?

Also does awesome handle my background image? Because when I started it I got back the ugly KDE background you get from a fresh install. I would check if konqueror is running in the background and drawing that background, but as I said I can't type "ps -A <piping character> grep konqueror" anymore sad

EDIT: alright, seems like Alt gr doesn't work at all

Thank you!

The background image is not set by konqueror, but by kdesktop, so better make sure that one is not running.
Then use something like feh to set your wallpaper.

KDE comes with its own keyboard stuff, so it might be that your xorg.conf is messed up. You can validate this by running another minimalistic WM like fluxbox or openbox. If it doesnt work there too, its your xorg.conf (in that case: paste it). If it DOES work, something odd is going on, but i am sure we can work it out smile

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#3 2008-05-21 13:32:07

regnskog

Re: Just installed awesome and in need of much help

Alright thanks Rasi I now use Esetroot to manage my background and in case anyone else runs into the keyboard problem here was my solution:

First you can try using xmodmap to set the keycode of altgr like this: "xmodmap -e "keycode 113 = Mode_switch". That didn't work for me though. As it appears, my xorg.conf (I think it was generated by hwd -x) wasn't completely correct. It had registered my keyboard layout as sv-latin1. After some help on #archlinux I learned that I had to look up /usr/share/X11/xbd/rules/xorg.lst and try if any of those options worked. I couldn't find sv-latin1 there so I figured it might be wrong and switched to the simple "se" layout instead. This made åäö work but still not alt gr. Finally I found the option "grp:switch". I tried it and now everything works wonderfully! smile

Board footer