You are not logged in.

#151 2008-06-20 18:12:17

Blµb

Re: New pacman utility, rebuild and optimize packages from source

Will think about it, but now I have to concentrate on uni, got some exams to learn for :S

You know you're paranoid when you start thinking random letters while typing a password.
A good post about vim
Python has no multithreading.

#152 2008-06-20 19:53:32

Blµb

Okay, since I still had some time, I changed it to be -a instead of -c
Then I tried: `pacbuilder --extra`
and well, -a was implied... seems like getopts is wrong

So.. I changed the argument parsing, you might wanna take a look at it, not sure if you like it, but the current way seems to be flawed.
getopts doesn't seem to care about --arguments, and also, you're doing `for EXTRA_FLAG in $@` but then call getopts with $@ again? Wouldn't that mean it's called with all arguments multiple times?

Also, until someone (or me hehe tongue) implements the search function (yes, I now know what it can be used for ^^), I added --match "some regex" (or -m "some regex")

*removed*

mpf, had some stupid mistake in there, but I've done some other changes now too so I can't really give ya a patch now...

Been thinking about making it also list dependencies before starting to install stuff. That part does take time though since it has to download the pkgbuilds first. Done most of that, the only thing left now is to order the packages so that if you want to install A and B, where A needs B as dependency, (and you're doing it in exactly that order), then it would install B with --asdeps, then A then B without --asdeps (I think?)
Can't test it all atm.

Bah, actually I should be learning for 3 exams >.<
I hate it when ppl gimme links to things like pacbuilder in times like this tongue
I just can't stop playing with it <.<

Last edited by Blµb (2008-06-21 16:24:35)

You know you're paranoid when you start thinking random letters while typing a password.
A good post about vim

#153 2008-06-25 12:56:51

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

@Cimi: Is it possible that, after using pacbuilder on core and extra repositories, I get an incorrect report when I subsequently use "pacman -Qdt" to show orphaned packages on my system?

This problem when running "pacman -Qdt" is currently being discussed in this thread, but I thought it worthwhile to pose the specific question to you here.

Several months ago I ran "pacman -Qdt" and got a list of 13 orphan packages. Two days ago I ran the same command and got a list of 133 orphan packages. The only change I remembered making in my system was running pacbuilder to rebuild core and extra. In fact, I ran pacbuilder twice on core.

I'm not at all "blaming" pacbuilder for anything; it works great for me. I'm just trying to understand why "pacman -Qdt" is now giving me such inflated results.

Thanks.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#154 2008-06-25 14:25:19

Cimi
Website

dhave wrote:

@Cimi: Is it possible that, after using pacbuilder on core and extra repositories, I get an incorrect report when I subsequently use "pacman -Qdt" to show orphaned packages on my system?

This problem when running "pacman -Qdt" is currently being discussed in this thread, but I thought it worthwhile to pose the specific question to you here.

Several months ago I ran "pacman -Qdt" and got a list of 13 orphan packages. Two days ago I ran the same command and got a list of 133 orphan packages. The only change I remembered making in my system was running pacbuilder to rebuild core and extra. In fact, I ran pacbuilder twice on core.

I'm not at all "blaming" pacbuilder for anything; it works great for me. I'm just trying to understand why "pacman -Qdt" is now giving me such inflated results.

Thanks.

This depends on pacman -U. Neither pacman nor pkg support local installation with -Qt, they both mark the packages as unrequired.
A fix would be to let pacbuilder create a custom local repository then install packages with pacman -S --config /etc/pacman-pacbuilder.conf package.

I'm currently out of time, but I'm accepting patches smile

Murrine Creator - GNOME Developer

#155 2008-06-25 14:49:19

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

O.K., thanks, Cimi. That explains what was going on. I verified this by removing one of the pacbuilder-installed packages which had appeared on my huge orphan list, then reinstalling it using "pacman -S". It's no longer considered an orphan.

I wish I were competent to produce a patch, but I'm afraid I'm just a lowly English teacher, not one of you code gurus. (I can diagram sentences, though smile ).

This isn't necessarily a big problem, anyway. It's a small tradeoff to lose the orphan-listing capability of pacman in order to get the custom-produced packages that pacbuilder produces.

That said, if anybody does produce a patch, I'll be happy to test it out.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#156 2008-06-28 09:44:46

Blµb

Me again, with patches...
I screwed around with this thing a lot, done lots of changes now, maybe you're interested in one or two of them
thought I'd post it here smile (better than keeping it for myself tongue)

http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0725517/pac … anges.diff

Changes:
Changed commandline parsing (ran into some problems with the way it was before) - still works the same way, but the bugs I ran into are fixed
The -p / --pretend which I mentioned in previous posts
The -a / --confirm which was mentioned too
Then -m / --match <regex> to only install the packages which are matched by the regex
And finally -d / --deplist, which does a dep check -before- installing, and lists all the dependencies. It takes some time since it has to fetch the PKGBUILDs, but they're reused in the installation afterwards.

A good post about vim

#157 2008-06-28 14:26:19

Cimi
Website

so this can be considered an update to the previous one?

#158 2008-06-28 15:11:11

Blµb

i actually just used diff on revision 109

A good post about vim

#159 2008-06-28 18:06:25

ilpianista
Fellow developer
Website

hi Blµb,
I like your patch and I added it
thanks wink

PS. In little note, please use double space instead of tab

#160 2008-06-29 14:55:34

Blµb

2 spaces, that's evil tongue
but ok...

A good post about vim

#161 2008-06-29 21:36:46

Cimi
Website

Blµb wrote:

2 spaces, that's evil tongue
but ok...

it is a bash script, could be read into a 80 char shell, so 2 spaces is the more logical solution.

#162 2008-07-05 20:32:05

floke

Cimi (+ dev gang)

This is great. Made my evening.
Many thanks,

#163 2008-07-31 15:02:11

alexmgarcia

It seems nice. But I think that the script connects everytime that will build a package, because my ip gets blacklisted in rsync.

EDIT: Hmm, the script needs a bug fix - The abs tree needs to be in $BUILD_DIR, like that:

cp -rf /var/abs/core/* /var/build
cp -rf /var/abs/community/* /var/build

etc etc etc

Last edited by alexmgarcia (2008-07-31 15:20:41)

#164 2008-09-02 06:03:32

freigeist

Due to the actual rsync abs limitations I'm having a hard time rebuilding my system (pacbuilder can't fetch the PKGBUILDs). I tried using a recent abs snapshot and copied the content of all directories from /var/abs/ to /var/pacbuilder (configured in /etc/pacbuilder.conf). I now have a flat directory structure with all packages and their PKGBUILDs under /var/pacbuilder (e.g. /var/pacbuilder/acpid/). BUT pacbuilder isn't using the already provided PKGBUILDs but still trying to fetch them on his own (which fails). Therefore I suggest these additions:
- a command line switch to use the PKGBUILDs from abs (expecting a recent abs structure) or a fallback function to use them if they are unfetchable
- a command line switch to DON'T delete the source and package files after building and installing a package (even if I create the package on my own using makepkg, pacbuilder fails to use it and deletes the whole stuff)
- a command line switch to create a local repository of the created packages

What do you think about this?

Elfenbeinturm.cc
a metaphysical space of solitude and sanctity: http://www.elfenbeinturm.cc

#165 2008-11-05 09:53:08

verve

what fonts are you using for your terminal?

#166 2008-11-15 01:49:04

qstreb

... (i have to learn to read )

Last edited by qstreb (2008-11-15 11:48:52)

#167 2008-11-15 02:38:19

Cimi
Website

qstreb wrote:

roll
Is it dead now?
Most of the base doesnt work hmm

that means archlinux has broken PKGBUILD upstream, please run it verbosely and see what is wrong

#168 2008-11-15 10:41:00

qstreb

the problem was the rsync server wink
bad security guys wink

Last edited by qstreb (2008-11-15 11:13:59)

#169 2008-11-15 10:52:19

qstreb

I also cant get it to not ask me for confirmations, there should be a trick how this
"    -n, --noconfirm       do not ask for any confirmation" does work

/usr/bin/pacbuilder -n -S -b -v texmacs
-------------------------------
PacBuilder, by Andrea Cimitan
-------------------------------

The following packages will be built:
==> texmacs
==> Building texmacs [package 1 of 1] ... depends on texlive-core!
Do you want to continue? (Y/n):

and so on

#170 2008-11-15 11:12:20

qstreb

I decided to give Arch Linux a go on my Samsung nc10 (Atom cpu), but i have really hard time how to make it work correctly hmm

I just want that my real PC, produce all the new packages with the optimal CFLAGS for the ATOM
then I need to keep track on these when updating, so every update should be first compiled

I've thought that the correct tool is srcpac , it can flags what is to be rebuild etc
sadly it doesnt work right now
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 14#p449414

Is the pacbuilder THE correct tool for this job using the " (-S) -u, --sysupgrade   build the updated packages" ?

thanks for the good job
I hope it can walk the road to the core, as there is real need for such a tool

Best wishes

P.S.  after I do "pacbuilder --world -n -v", what is the easiest way to reinstall all the produces packages?

Last edited by qstreb (2008-11-15 11:14:39)

#171 2008-11-19 11:44:44

MindTooth

I hate to ask, but could someone please explain the basics. And maybe suggest some commands to run, to make the system improve upon the pacbuilder prosess.

Birger smile

#172 2008-11-20 07:30:41

andywxy

This tool is GREAT!

There is 2 questions that I wanna ask.

Q1.If some packages have been upgraded, for instance from the core repo that I have used pacbuilder to recompile, then I need to recompile them again. So could pacbuilder do something auto check about this and notify me which package needs recompiled before the next time I start pacbuilder?

Q2.I think it is better for pacbuilder has an feature to export the pkgs out, which maybe see as a backup method if we need rolling back or just for building a local repo for the next fresh installation of Arch on other computers with same specifications or just for a quick reinstallation.

Thank you Cimi for this awesome tool!
smile

#173 2008-11-20 14:46:38

andywxy

Okay... I have found a little silly solution to my Q1, which is just make a very small bash script runing in cron everyday whose task is output the /var/log/pacman.log to some other file (of course grep the upgraded informations from it):

#!/bin/bash
/bin/echo "<====== Upgraded info | `date +%F` =======>" >> /home/andywxy/pkg-info/upgraded-recent
/bin/cat /var/log/pacman.log | /bin/grep `date +%F` | /bin/grep upgraded >> /home/andywxy/pkg-info/upgraded-recent

So when the next time I start pacbuilder I will have a look at this record. smile

Hope don't laught at me... Im only a noob in both Arch&bash tongue

#174 2008-12-08 16:12:08

Svenstaro
Administrator

Nice script, finally I can feel Gentoo-badass again.

Two things, though:
1) You should not have to call pacbuilder as root if you only want to display help or gcc info.
2) Even though I'm using --noconfirm, I still have to confirm every time Pacbuilder wants to install a dependency, I don't think that's desired behavior, is it?

#175 2008-12-08 17:15:20

Cimi
Website

Svenstaro wrote:

Nice script, finally I can feel Gentoo-badass again.

Two things, though:
1) You should not have to call pacbuilder as root if you only want to display help or gcc info.
2) Even though I'm using --noconfirm, I still have to confirm every time Pacbuilder wants to install a dependency, I don't think that's desired behavior, is it?

1)ok
2)no it isn't, maybe the other devs messed it up.

unfortunately I'm quite busy, but if you want (or someone else) to continue fixing bugs for this project I may add you to the developer page @google code

Board footer