You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-23 09:20:35

Zibi1981

ATI Catalyst™ 8.5 Proprietary Linux Display Driver released

New ATI Catalyst™ 8.5 Proprietary Linux Display Driver was released the day before yesterday and according to release notes it has many improvements.

New Features

This release of the Catalyst™ Linux software driver introduces Mipmap Detail, Catalyst A.I., and AA Filters in the 3D ORCA page of the Catalyst™ Control Center Linux Edition.

Resolved Issues

* The following section provide a brief description of resolved issues with the latest version of the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite. These include:
* Support for video playback on the second head in dual head mode is now available. Further details can be found in topic number 737-26985
* Unresolved symbols in Xorg log under RHEL 4u6 32 and 64 bit no longer occur. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34284
* The desktop background color is no longer displayed incorrectly when using xcommgr. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34285
* Change VT no longer fails when kernel module is not loaded. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34286
* Switching to the virtual terminal multiple times no longer results in X displaying corruption. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34287
* Catalyst Control Center: The Preference page is now localized for all supported languages. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34275
* The Linux kernel module is no longer installed to wrong location if the Linux kernel is updated. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34288
* Random system hangs no longer occur when calls to the ATI driver are made from Ring3. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34289
* X window no longer fails to respond when GoogleEarth is maximized. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34290
* A segmentation fault no longer occurs when running SPECViewperf on systems containing an ATI FireGL V5100 series product and running SUSE 10.3 x86. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34276
* Enabling Composite extension no longer displays 8x AA for graphic cards that do not support 8x AA under the Ubuntu 7.10 operating system. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34291
* Display corruption is no longer noticed at logon when compiz is enabled. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34292
* Launching the glxgears application no longer results in segmentation faults. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34293
* GoogleEarth: Launching the application in horizontal mode on a system running X no longer results in corruption being noticed. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34293
* Specviewperf 8.1 64 bit version: Segmentation faults no longer occurs on IGP systems. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34294
* Maya 2008: Moving the render window no longer results in the operating system failing. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34295
* Glxgears corruption is no longer noticed in big desktop mode. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34296

Known Issues

* The following section provides a brief description of known issues associated with the latest version of ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite. These issues include:
* Desktop corruption may be noticed when dragging the overlay/video when using dual-display mode. Further details can be found in topic number 737-29578
* Bandwidth corruption may be noticed when setting the desktop resolution to 2048x1536 on systems containing an ATI Radeon HD 3200 series of product. Further details can be found in topic number 737-33499
* SECAM, NTSC or PAL signal changes when using aticonfig or Catalyst Control Center but does not apply to the TV display output. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34297
* Running X server without a window manager may result in the X server flashing green for a moment, going black, and the computer becoming unresponsive. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34299
* Desktop corruption may be noticed when dragging the overlay/video when using dual-display mode. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34298
* Connecting a CRT display device to a system containing an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 product may result in the display device flashing multiple times or failing to display an image when attempting to launch the Catalyst Control Center. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34300
* Corruption may be noticed when connecting a DFP display device to a system running X after setting the TV mode to 1080i. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34301
* Quake 3 Arena (demo): Segmentation faults may occur when attempting to play the game. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34302
* Specviewperf: Launching the application may result in the Linux operating system failing to respond. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34282
* Opening a terminal and running semi-automated DPPT tests via lnxtest.sh may result in the operating system failing to respond. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34283
* A segmentation fault may occur when running SPECViewperf on systems containing an ATI FireGL V5100 series product and running SUSE 10.3 x86. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34319
* FGL_GLXGEARS or GLXGEARS: X may fail to respond when launching either of the applications. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34316
* Maya 2008: Various comparison failures may be noticed. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34277
* The X Server may fail to reset clearly when AIGLX is enabled. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34317
* DiscoveryStudio1.7: The print preview and save as functions may fail to work properly. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34278
* SPEC Viewperf 8.1: A performance drop may be noticed when running the application under Linux. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34279
* Maya2008: The hardware render buffer may fail to render/display the image. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34280
* May2008: The hardware render Perl script may display an error message when rendering. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34281

I wonder when it will appear in Arch's repositories tongue

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#2 2008-05-23 11:52:30

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: ATI Catalyst™ 8.5 Proprietary Linux Display Driver released

Zibi1981 wrote:

I wonder when it will appear in Arch's repositories tongue

Who knows?  That's one of the great mysteries of life, along with cafeteria mystery meat and Skoal's true form

#3 2008-05-23 13:26:40

Zibi1981

I hope this mystery will have been unraveled by Monday tongue

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

#4 2008-05-23 13:30:46

imagelife

i need it , smile

just want to tell you!…………

#5 2008-05-24 12:51:46

fettouhi

Well, Catalyst 8.4 just hit the extra repo today. So let's hope that 8.5 goes directly into extra smile.

Regards

André

#6 2008-05-24 21:22:16

pedepy

i can tell you what cafeteria mystery meat is. I mean, i could, but i'm not gonna.. not before 8.5 shows up anyway.

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#7 2008-05-25 06:16:23

fettouhi

Is anybody else getting a constant CPU load 40 % with the 8.4 Catalyst driver?

Regards

André

#8 2008-05-25 11:49:31

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

I am getting a ton of problems with 8.5 - screen corruption (if COMPOSITE and RENDER enabled), X segfaults (RENDER disabled), painfully slow redraw time (RENDER disabled). sad    I'm hesitant to upload these drivers to the repos - I've put them in my personal webspace for now (i686 only for now) - can someone else try them out and report results before I push them to extra?

http://dev.archlinux.org/~travis/pkg/catalyst/

#9 2008-05-25 13:34:28

Mikko777

Cerebral wrote:

I am getting a ton of problems with 8.5 - screen corruption (if COMPOSITE and RENDER enabled), X segfaults (RENDER disabled), painfully slow redraw time (RENDER disabled). sad    I'm hesitant to upload these drivers to the repos - I've put them in my personal webspace for now (i686 only for now) - can someone else try them out and report results before I push them to extra?

Tested, and i am happy with those.

Noticed I had finally only 1 X running, tested with COMPOSITE and RENDER enabled and did have some screen corruption (black lines) which i thought were caused by splashy. Screen corruption were cured by changing vty's tho (ctrl+alt+f1 and f7). Glxgears displays results but is frozen here too.

Overall very snappy and if I'd have to choose these and new kernel or the old kernel and old catalyst id vote for these.

tested with radeon9600+kernel.25+kdemod4

Edit : guess i could post xorg.conf too, sadly textured2d wont work here without major corruption.
but noticed "Device" "/dev/psaux"  cures multiple mouseclicks with btnx to balance that ^^

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0"  "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0"     "CorePointer"
    Option           "blank" "2"
    Option           "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "ddc"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "freetype"
    Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "keyboard"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "fi"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier     "Mouse0"
       Driver         "mouse"
       Option         "Protocol" "auto"
       Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
EndSection  

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Monitor0"
    Option        "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option        "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option        "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Device0"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    Option        "TexturedVideo" "on"
#   Option      "Textured2D"    "on"
    Option        "TexturedXrender" "on"
    Option        "UseFastTLS" "1"
    Option        "BackingStore" "on"
    Option        "VideoOverlay" "on"
    Option        "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    Option        "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "on"
    Option        "DRI" "true"
    Option        "TVHPosAdj" "0"
    Option        "TVVPosAdj" "0"
    Option        "TVVSizeAdj" "100"
    Option        "TVHSizeAdj" "100"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Device0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
        Modes    "1680x1050"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode         0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option        "Composite" "Enable"
    Option        "RENDER"    "Enable"
    Option        "DAMAGE"    "Enable"
    Option        "XVideo"    "Enable"
EndSection

Last edited by Mikko777 (2008-05-25 13:38:53)

#10 2008-05-25 21:45:31

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Hm, when I use fglrx options from your xorg.conf and blow away amdpcsdb the screen corruption goes away - the drivers are now usable for me.

Thanks, Mikko777. smile

-edit- Wow, scrolling in Firefox/Claws mail is painful, however.  Might try to tweak settings still, but at least I can use my screen with this version again. smile

#11 2008-05-25 23:16:24

wyvern

Well I've also tested and am very happy with the new drivers (8.5). Nothing to report - as in there's nothing wrong; no freezes in fgl_glxgears/glxgears, no corruption or black lines, opera and kazehakase scroll just fine, basic compositing is turned on, COMPOSITE and RENDER are both enabled in my xorg.conf.

Using ATI 2400HD (laptop), openbox, xcompmgr, and opera/kazehakase. I've posted up my xorg.conf in case it can help either of you with the glxgears freezing.

Wonderful, thank you for these smile

Last edited by wyvern (2008-05-25 23:19:20)

#12 2008-05-25 23:38:28

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

OK, I fixed my scrolling issue.  Basing myself off wyvern's xorg.conf (which was quite minimal in the Device section), I commented out a ton of xorg.conf options and left myself with a minimal config - apparently one of the options I've had since looooong ago caused my issue, and whatever the default was for it fixed it.   glxgears is still 'frozen in place' however, but that doesn't really bug me, because it's glxgears.  boohoo.  tongue

At this point, I'm not sure why I had all those options, so I'm not even going to bother trying to figure out which one caused my grief unless I start seeing oddness.  smile

I'll be uploading the drivers to extra in short order.  Thanks wyvern, mikko!

-edit-

In case anyone's wondering, I commented out all these options and deleted /etc/ati/amdpcsdb, and everything (except glxgears) is beeaaauuutiful.

#Option        "Capabilities" "0x00000800"
    #Option        "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
    #Option        "ForceMonitors" "tv,crt1"
    #Option        "FSAAScale" "0"
    #Option        "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "on"
    #Option        "TexturedXrender" "on"
    #Option        "TexturedVideoSync" "on"
    #Option        "Textured2D" "off"
    #Option        "UseFastTLS" "2"
    #Option        "BackingStore" "on"

One (or more) of those options caused my scrolling issues (probably the Textured<something> ones, I'd bet)

My device section now looks like this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Norcent Device"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    Option        "VideoOverlay" "on"
    Option        "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    Option        "DRI" "true"
    Option        "TVOverscan" "on"
    Option        "TexturedVideo" "on"
    Option        "DesktopSetup" "single"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

#13 2008-05-26 00:23:48

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

New drivers in extra - i686 only right now 'cause I can't connect to the x86_64 build box.

#14 2008-05-26 15:22:10

sam

The 8.5 driver gives me consistent ~10% performance gains in glxgears over the 8.4 driver.  But I have a firefox scrolling issue, perhaps the same one you were having.  I have tried everything on this forum and others and I can't get rid of it.  Its most apparent on sites like circuitcity.com product pages.  The left and right half of the text doesn't scroll in sync and causes a vertical line-like artifact between the two halves.  Sometimes a letter will also be oddly rendered (ie it is slightly below the other text and slightly bolder).  I think I'm going to revert to 8.4 and wait for the next ati release.
I think ati included too many [cool] new features in this release, so I am hopping the next release will address these issues.

#15 2008-05-30 11:23:25

vennen

8.5 eventually allowed me to start CompizFusion and no hardlocks anymore.

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1720 laptop with Radeon xpress 200m.

I'm quite happy :-) Archlinux rules and now fglrx started to work - double rules :-)

#16 2008-05-31 13:02:27

demix

Hello all.

I have a problem with the new driver fglrx.

Moving windows is very very slow and saccade.

I have a x1600 mobility.

3D and XV work.

I don't have error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and few warning.

This is my Device section from my xorg.conf
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    Option        "VideoOverlay" "off"
    Option        "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    Option        "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option        "TexturedVideo" "on"
    Option        "Textured2D" "on"
    Option        "TexturedXRender" "off"
    Option        "PseudoColorVisuals" "off"
    Option        "UseFastTLS" "1"
EndSection

Please help me.

#17 2008-05-31 15:03:35

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

I suggest turning off TexturedVideo and moving /etc/ati/amdpcsdb to some temp dir and see if that helps

#18 2008-05-31 15:27:07

SpookyET

#19 2008-05-31 17:01:11

demix

Cerebal, thank for your answer.

I tried turn off TexturedVideo and move /etc/ati/amdpcsdb

But I always problem and now Xv don't work

And i tested with composite and moving windows is normal

#20 2008-05-31 17:06:49

_Marco_

@SpookyET: Thanks
@everyone
I looked at the thread

Note 7: ->For Xorg 7.3 users
Guys please make sure to install the latest Catalyst driver!! I checked it (official changelog doesn't mention it though) from 8.2 and on Compiz-Fusion is working under Xorg 7.3!

anyway I still can't run compiz with the new xorg (it worked ""almost well"" with the xorg-server 1.2) since it always started with a

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --replace &

but (I checked yesterday) it doesn't work now... do it works for you?

Last edited by _Marco_ (2008-05-31 17:07:50)

#21 2008-06-05 13:23:22

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

We generally don't encourage cross-posting, edBaba - your original thread should suffice without the 'advertisement' here. smile

If anyone knows how to help them out, post in the linked thread above and continue discussion there.  Thanks!

#22 2008-06-09 12:06:44

dav7

[EDIT: Post updated and moved to http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 57#p379057]

Ugh. This X1550 (RV505)-based card has given me nothing but trouble: if it isn't segfaulting usermode apps, it's crashing, making my eyes bleed, or similar. However, I was able to enjoy a game before it crashed. Oh, yes: Compiz Fusion has never, ever worked on this card properly; compiz' latest game is to not redraw the background properly.

I think I did something to xorg.conf... *hides*

I have, however, convinced it to run my display at 1400x1050 at 84Hz, not 83Hz, so at least my eyes aren't bleeding anymore. Hacking /etc/ati/amdpcsdb{,defaults} ftw! big_smile

At least I don't have to worry about my integrated Intel... sorry excuse for a chipset continually asploding when I change resolutions now.

Here's my xorg.conf, if you can make sense of it and tell me what I might do to stop everything relating to this card from segfaulting - running amdcccle, compiz, fglrxinfo, glxgears, fgl_glxgears, etc etc ad nauseum all currently produce "Segmentation fault". sad

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    Option        "AIGLX" "True"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/monospace"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/bitmap-fonts"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/bitmap-fonts-2"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/windows-fonts"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/advent"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/FON"
EndSection

Section "Module"

#    Load  "GLcore"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "xtrap"
    Load  "freetype"
#    Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "IBM"
    ModelName    "IBM C190 CRT"
    DisplaySize  370    277
    HorizSync    30.0 - 96.0
    VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
    ModeLine     "1400x1050@84.0Hz" 177.0 1400 1504 1656 1912 1050 1051 1054 1102 -hsync +vsync
    Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"

#    Option        "DRI"            "True"
#    Option        "AccelMethod"        "XAA"
#    Option        "NoDDC"            "True"
#    Driver        "intel"
#    BusID        "PCI:0:2:0"
#    Option        "VideoOverlay" "off"
#    Option        "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
#    Option        "Textured2D" "on"
#    Option        "TexturedXrender" "off"
#    Option        "UseFastTLS" "1"
#    Option        "BackingStore" "on"
#    Option        "DRI" "true"
#    Option        "TVOverscan" "on"
#    Option        "DesktopSetup" "single"
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName   "82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device"
    Option        "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "True"
#    Option        "TexturedVideo" "on"
    Option        "UseFastTLS" "1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Card0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     1
        Modes    "1400x1050_84.0Hz"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     4
        Modes    "1400x1050_84.0Hz"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"

#        Modes        "1400x1050_84.0Hz"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"

Viewport   0 0
        Depth     15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"

Viewport   0 0
        Depth     16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"

Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode         0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option        "RENDER" "Enable"
    Option        "DAMAGE" "Enable"
    Option        "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that the ATI card runs my screen at a waywayway more... something setting, resulting in MUCH crisper display of text. \o/

Last edited by dav7 (2008-06-10 01:19:32)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#23 2008-06-18 19:15:35

fettouhi

Cerebral wrote:

Might we see some catalyst 8.6 packages in your repo soon for testing?

Regards

André

#24 2008-06-19 15:33:26

Zibi1981

Yea, it would be great as at Phoronix forums some people are reporting 10% performance increase in games big_smile

EDIT: Some release notes from AMD

New Features

This release of the Catalyst™ Linux software driver introduces UYVY and YUY2 pixel format support. This support provides interleaved stream support for video playback applications such as TVTime and MythTV.

Resolved Issues

The following section provide a brief description of resolved issues with the latest version of the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite. These include:
*Enemy Territory: Quake Wars: Playing the demo on a system running X no longer results in corruption being noticed. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35208
*Maya 2008: An incorrect colormap is no longer displayed for texture selector on systems running X. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35207
*Quake 3 Arena (demo): Segmentation faults no longer occur when attempting to play the game. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35206
*Quake3: Corruption is no longer noticed when changing the display resolution when the game is running. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35209
*SECAM, NTSC or PAL signal changes when using aticonfig or Catalyst Control Center and now gets applied to the TV display output. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34297
*Running X server without a window manager no longer results in the X server flashing green for a moment, going black, and the computer becoming unresponsive. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34299
*Corruption is no longer noticed when connecting a DFP display device to a system running X after setting the TV mode to 1080i. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34301
*Clock Gating is now supported and enable under the Linux operating system. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35191
*The desktop background color is no longer displayed incorrectly when using xcommgr. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35192
*Using the wrong delimiter in aticonfig --set-dispattrib=<disp>,<attr>, <value> no longer results in a segmentation fault. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35194
*Audio out is now functioning after the installation of the ATI graphics drivers for Ubuntu 7.10. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35196
*Bandwidth corruption is no longer noticed when setting the desktop resolution to 2048x1536 on systems containing an ATI Radeon HD 3200 series of product. Further details can be found in topic number 737-33499
*Playing a video clip using mplayer with the Xv extension enabled no longer results in an error indicating that Xv could not find a free Xv port. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35198
*Corruption is no longer noticed when enabling Big Desktop on systems containing an ATI FireGL X1 series of product and running X. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35199
*Running the X server generations test no longer results in the operating system failing to respond or a Kernel panic to occur after first server generation on SuSE 10.3 64 bit. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35200
*Attempting to resize a 2D application window no longer results in poor performance being noticed when composing is enabled. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35201
*Screen flicker is no longer noticed after running amdcccle in X. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35202
*Corruption is no longer noticed when connecting a DFP display device to a system running X after setting the TV mode to 1080i. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35203
*Glxgears corruption is no longer noticed in big desktop mode. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35204
*Starting glxgears and/or fgl_glxgears no longer results in the gears failing to render on SuSE 10.2 x86_64. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35205
*FGL_GLXGEARS or GLXGEARS: X no longer fails to respond when launching either of the applications. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35210

Known Issues

The following section provides a brief description of known issues associated with the latest version of ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite. These issues include:
*DiscoveryStudio1.7: The print preview and save as functions may fail to work properly. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35219
*Desktop corruption may be noticed when dragging the overlay/video when using dual-display mode. Further details can be found in topic number 737-29578
*Bandwidth corruption may be noticed when setting the desktop resolution to 2048x1536 on systems containing an ATI *Radeon HD 3200 series of product. Further details can be found in topic number 737-33499
*Connecting a CRT display device to a system containing an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 product may result in the display device flashing multiple times or failing to display an image when attempting to launch the Catalyst Control Center. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34300
*DiscoveryStudio1.7: The print preview and save as functions may fail to work properly. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34278
*Setting the Overscan to an invalid value may result in segmentation faults. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35211
*An incorrect error message may be returned when applying an unsupported TV geometry in a console terminal. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35212
*Desktop corruption may be noticed when dragging the overlay/video when using dual-display mode. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35213
*An X segmentation fault may occur when launching SUZI/textured video. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35214
*Creating two successive connections may result in direct GL context to fail. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35215
*Moving the mouse or tapping a key may fail to close an OpenGL screen-saver and bring the user back to the x desktop. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35216
*The X Server may fail to reset clearly when AIGLX is enabled. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35217
*Opening a terminal and running semiautomated DPPT tests via lnxtest.sh may result in the operating system failing to respond. Further details can be found in topic number 737-35218

Last edited by Zibi1981 (2008-06-19 15:42:23)

#25 2008-06-19 19:28:55

SwimFr3ak

I'm hoping so, 8.5 is not running very well on my laptop. It would be nice to get rid of the screen corruption and artifacts that I get during normal usage. It looks like 8.6 is a great improvement, from what everyone is saying on Phoronix.

Board footer