You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-26 13:20:30

JeremyTheWicked

[Solved] KDE won't start anymore as user

Hi there.

I am testing Archlinux in VirtualBox - I want to get to know it before I use it in the real life. When I type startx as normal user it crashes with 2 errors:

'Failed to load module "type1" (module doesn't exist)

[...]

No input driver matching mouse'

I've discovered that the real problem is that there is no /opt/kde/bin in the PATH though (I'm using KDEmod). I can run X by typing:

env PATH=$PATH:/opt/kde/bin startx

It would be better to add /opt/kde/bin to the PATH once and for good. In what file(s) can I add it and what are the respective caveats?

Thanks for help smile

Last edited by JeremyTheWicked (2008-05-27 11:27:45)

arch(3) adj amused because you think you understand something better than other people ;P

#2 2008-05-26 13:33:18

stefan1975

Re: [Solved] KDE won't start anymore as user

you should be able to edit your /home/{user}/.xinitrc with vi or nano and add the path to kdemod there. (there should be some examples there that are commented out by a "#", the one for KDE can be adjusted to match the folders for KDEMOD).

if you then change the default runlevel in /etc/inittab from "3" to "5" it should boot to X by default by grabbing the entry in your .xinitrc

stefan

"root# su - bofh"
Desktop Hardware: Dell Precision M65 laptop, core2duo, 2gb, 80gb 7200rpm
Registered linux user #459910 since 1998

#3 2008-05-26 15:43:59

JeremyTheWicked

Hi Stefan. Thanks for your answer. I know about this possibility. I would rather like to know what is the general-purpose configuration file for the PATH variable. I'd rather I had startkde in my global PATH. Any ideas?

arch(3) adj amused because you think you understand something better than other people ;P

#4 2008-05-26 19:11:01

bgc1954

Look in /etc/profile

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#5 2008-05-26 20:04:10

JeremyTheWicked

That's the place. smile One thing makes me wonder though. In /etc/profile I only have a few positions in the PATH (/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin). Where are all the other paths that I get from "echo $PATH" (like /opt/mozilla/bin and the like)? I cannot find it anywhere. smile

#6 2008-05-26 20:15:59

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

JeremyTheWicked wrote:

That's the place. smile One thing makes me wonder though. In /etc/profile I only have a few positions in the PATH (/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin). Where are all the other paths that I get from "echo $PATH" (like /opt/mozilla/bin and the like)? I cannot find it anywhere. smile

You have to add them. You can also put them in ~/.bashrc

#7 2008-05-26 21:25:30

JeremyTheWicked

I think I didn't express myself clearly: I don't mean the lacking paths now (btw. thanks for the bashrc tip - didn't know about it). I mean the paths that are there in the environment already (I can see them with echo $PATH), but they are not defined in /etc/profile. Where does Arch store them?

#8 2008-05-26 21:35:56

ghostHack

they are in their respective files in the /etc/profile.d directory, they are read by /etc/profile using the following construct:

# Load profiles from /etc/profile.d
if test -d /etc/profile.d/; then
    for profile in /etc/profile.d/*.sh; do
        test -x $profile && . $profile
    done
    unset profile
fi

#9 2008-05-26 22:55:16

JeremyTheWicked

Thanks man! That's what I meant smile I would never find it myself I guess. And it let me find the real issue: the scripts for KDE in /etc/profile.d didn't have execution permissions set.

This is the explanation I found on KDEmod bugtracker:

No, the permissions are intended to be like this...

Let me explain: With KDE4 in our repo we have now the problem that there are 2 KDE's
available that can coexist, which leads to two different path settings in /etc/profile.d.

Our solution: Make the profile files non-executable and source them directly in startkde.
(Take a look into /opt/kde/bin/startkde and/or /opt/kdemod/bin/startkde to see what i mean)

The only drawback is that you have to add these two lines to every PKGBUILD:

[ "$QTDIR" = "" ] && source /etc/profile.d/qt(mod).sh
[ "$KDEDIR" = "" ] && source /etc/profile.d/kde(mod4).sh

Closing this now. Its not a bug, but intended behaviour.

Last edited by JeremyTheWicked (2008-05-26 22:58:39)

Board footer