You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-28 18:18:08

The Avatar of Time

[SOLVED] Fluxbox will not remember settings.

Hello all,

I am running Arch64 with Fluxbox. I do not use a login manager. I just use 'startx' to launch Fluxbox. My problem is that Fluxbox remembers none of my settings when I restart or logout. All my startup programs work fine, and the 'Remember' function for dimensions and and position work fine. So ~/.fluxbox/startup and ~/.fluxbox/apps are both working apparently. I have no idea where the other settings that I am referring to are stored.

I use 'gnome-alsamixer' and the volume settings reset evertime that I restart/logout. If I remember right I don't even have to logout, just exit Fluxbox and the settings are forgotten. Amarok, VLC, and probably some others also forget where the volume should be as well as my last playlist (Amarok) and last disc/file (VLC) that I have opened. I am sure there are other things that are forgotten, but these are the ones that bother me the most, primarily the gnome-alsamixer is a real pain to set every time, especially since I use surround sound. Firefox also always offers to restore session (I never close it before I exit Fluxbox, otherwise obviously it wouldn't do that), so it remembers all my tabs when I exit, course I think that is just what Firefox does and not related to my issue.

Any ideas as to what I can do to fix this? I used to have problems with the 'remember' function not working in Ubuntu and deleting the ~/.fluxbox/apps directory solved that. I assume that it may be the same type of issue here? I have tried using 'Exit' in the Fluxbox menu as well as 'sudo reboot' to exit Fluxbox and both cause the settings to be forgotten. Is there some other way to exit Fluxbox so that it will remember? It would be great if I could get it to save the entire session like KDE can, but that is not a must.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2008-05-29 13:31:30)

#2 2008-05-28 19:22:59

burk

Re: [SOLVED] Fluxbox will not remember settings.

Fluxbox does not have anything to do with Amarok and VLCs settings, they store their own settings in their own directories (so maybe the ownership is wrong on them?). The same goes for the volume, it should be remembered by alsa. Maybe there is a setting in gnome-alsamixer that makes it reset it, try restarting fluxbox without starting gnome-alsamixer and see if the volume is the same.

Also, Firefox has a session saver function which will remember you open tabs (you'll find it where you set the start page).

#3 2008-05-28 22:03:04

The Avatar of Time

Thanks for the reply. I do not know much about permissions but I did a:

sudo chown theavataroftime -R /home/theavataroftime

And that did not help with the volume settings. How would you go about this? The main thing I am concerned with is the volume (gnome-alsamixer). I don't want to have to reset all my volume each time I restart. Thanks.

#4 2008-05-28 22:08:25

rson451
Website

to store the volume everytime you shutdown and restore when you restart you must run the alsa daemon.  it only uses resource on boot and shutdown so there is no harm in putting it in your daemons array.  i believe this information is on the alsa wiki page.  as for your other issues, i'm almost positive that the playlist etc are not specific to fluxbox.  to test that theory you could install another window manager and see if the same happens in that wm.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#5 2008-05-29 00:45:58

The Avatar of Time

Thanks for the reply,

I am trying the 'Restore ALSA Mixer settings at startup' section from here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ALSA

I added the the alsa deamon to the list, but running 'alsactl store' does not work. I get a command not found error. I have tried as root as well. Also 'alsactl' does not show up with a 'whereis'. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

#6 2008-05-29 13:31:01

The Avatar of Time

Well, I was missing a thing or two:

pacman -Sy alsa-lib alsa-utils
pacman -S alsa-oss

Now I can use the 'alsactl store' command. Upon rebooting I then need to 'alsactl restore' and I have my volume settings back. Thanks.

#7 2008-05-29 15:47:54

rson451
Website

yeah, now if you run that 'alsa' daemon, you will not have to run 'alsactl restore' when you reboot, it will save and restore for you automatically.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

Board footer