You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-29 15:32:56

venky80

remove packages and all the config files associated with it

How can I remove a package and all the files folders hidden folders config files and examples which are installed with it.
In short how can I revert the system back to the state when the package was not even there.
When i remove a package i still see some folders which are associated with it in some weird directories.
Is there a way to get rid of those.
Thanks

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

#2 2008-05-29 15:36:58

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: remove packages and all the config files associated with it

From the pacman man page:

Remove Options

-c, --cascade
    Remove all target packages, as well as all packages that depend on one or more target packages. This operation is recursive, and must be used with care since it can remove many potentially needed packages.

-k, --keep
    Removes the database entry only. Leaves all files in place.

-n, --nosave
    Instructs pacman to ignore file backup designations. Normally, when a file is removed from the system the database is checked to see if the file should be renamed with a ".pacsave" extension.

-s, --recursive
    Remove each target specified including all of their dependencies, provided that (A) they are not required by other packages; and (B) they were not explicitly installed by the user. This operation is recursive and analogous to a backwards --sync operation, and helps keep a clean system without orphans.

-n seems to be what you are looking for.

#3 2008-05-29 15:41:28

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

also, note that pacman will NEVER touch .configs in your home directory that are generated by running the app.

#4 2008-05-29 15:43:40

rson451
Website

actually Misfit, i think -n is the exact opposite of what he is looking for.  afaik there is no way to delete config files and such with the package manager because they are not created by the package manager.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#5 2008-05-29 16:05:15

bender02

In other words, depending on what the package does and how it installs, there might be no way of reverting the state of your machine to the time before you installed the package (except for manual deleting the cruft).

Here's a script that can help find files that are not owned by any package http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=45939 But be careful - understand what you're about to delete before you do it.

#6 2008-05-29 20:29:39

venky80

ya i don't care about files inside my home directory, I do not want any files which were created because of the package outside of my home directory.

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

Board footer