You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-02 06:29:23

ataylor

simple kernel compilation question

Hi,

I'm just trying to get my head around compiling my own 2.6.25.4 kernel.. I'm following the Kernel Compilation from Source guide in the wiki (using pacman/makepkg) tutorial. One thing which is confusing me is after I configure the kernel using make menuconfig and save it, when I build the kernel I still see modules I disabled streaming past. I just would like to clarify how to read the compile output so I have a clue of what is going on... e.g all the CC/[M]/SHIPPED flags.

Also, whats the difference between setting an option as a module ([M]) or built in?

#2 2008-06-02 06:42:09

mintcoffee
Website

Re: simple kernel compilation question

What might be happening is that some PKGBUILDs copy the provided config every time the package is built, overwriting any customizations.

You should copy the $stardir/linux-2.6.25/.config file back to $startdir/config overwriting the previous one, and regenerate the md5 sum with 'makepkg -g'.

A kernel module is loaded dynamically, with modprobe or insmod. A built-in module is part of the kernel blob, so its loaded the moment the kernel is loaded.

Arch on a Thinkpad T400s

Board footer