You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-03 13:56:12

Atticus

How to stop artifacts when X first starts

hi all, I don't know if this happens for other people, but on my openbox desktop, when X first starts there is always this bunch of colored artifacts all over the screen for a second, then it loads normally.  I don't really understand why it's happening, but I'd like to fix it if possible, mostly for aesthetic reasons.

#2 2008-06-03 14:01:55

Sp4rkR4t

Re: How to stop artifacts when X first starts

It would help if you could give us a bit of info on what hardware & software (desktop enviroments, compositing manager, etc) your running, xorg.conf, etc.

#3 2008-06-03 14:54:55

Atticus

This is actually in a VirtualBox guest using a larch-based livecd that I made.   So there is actually no xorg.conf file (it's running without one).  It's basically just an openbox session run immediately from inittab.  I've tried it on a real computer but can't recall if it happened there.

I was just hoping that there was some low-hanging fruit that everyone but me knew about that I could use to fix this.

Could the lack of an xorg.conf file be causing this?

#4 2008-06-03 16:01:00

Statix

I had this problem when I was running xcompmgr, but not without it. I'm guessing the larch livecd comes with xcompmgr?

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#5 2008-06-03 16:12:10

Atticus

No it doesn't, at least not the larch livecd I created.  The way it looks is as if when it starts up it is remembering the way the previous X session had left off for a split second, then reverting to the current session.  I'll see if I can get a screenshot.

Edit: I got a screenshot but it doesn't look anything like I described.  This lasts about 1 second before it goes to a normal screen.

larch.jpg

Last edited by Atticus (2008-06-03 16:17:00)

Board footer