You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-08 00:40:05

rayzorblayde

installing from custom repo

i'm trying to install 2 packages i downloaded from the unofficial repo.
i've been reading and searching posts to try to figure this out, but i'm getting errors that i dont' know what to do now.

here's what i did.  (trying to follow this thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … hard+drive )

edited /etc/pacman.conf to be the following:

[custom]
Server = file:///archpkg

copied the 2 pkg.tar.gz files to the /archpkg directory.
executed following commands:
cd /archpkg
tar czf custom.db.tar.gz *
pacman -Sy

after this i get the following output:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
failed to synchronize current
 custom                        [/archpkg/         ] 100% |   LOCAL |
error: /var/lib/pacman/custom/wireless_tools-26-2.pkg.tar.gz/desc: Not a directory

any help is appreciated.  thanks

loading.... please wait....

#2 2004-06-08 01:52:08

lanrat

Re: installing from custom repo

Exactly what packages are you trying to install and where did you download them from?

You don't need a local repo to install downloaded packages. If they come from incoming untar the tar first (there is - or should be - the right package.tar.gz in it). Then just

pacman -A packagefilename.tar.gz or pacman -U packagefilename.tar.gz

(no need for local repo entry in pacman.conf) Does it work for you or you really want this local repo?

#3 2004-06-08 07:28:38

orelien
Forum Fellow
Website

rayzorblayde wrote:

copied the 2 pkg.tar.gz files to the /archpkg directory.
executed following commands:
cd /archpkg
tar czf custom.db.tar.gz *

That's not the proper way to create a db file: you have to use "gensync".

#4 2004-06-08 11:51:19

rayzorblayde

lanrat wrote:

Exactly what packages are you trying to install and where did you download them from?

You don't need a local repo to install downloaded packages. If they come from incoming untar the tar first (there is - or should be - the right package.tar.gz in it). Then just

pacman -A packagefilename.tar.gz or pacman -U packagefilename.tar.gz

(no need for local repo entry in pacman.conf) Does it work for you or you really want this local repo?

trying to install wireless tools and wlan whatever. i downloaded them from the unofficial repo.  they are called wireless<something>.pkg.tar.gz and wlan<something>.pkg.tar.gz.

i don't need a local repo if you say i don't.  i just thought i did from reading the man pages and searching the forums, etc.

i will try the -A option and see if that works.

if not, i'll try orelien's suggestion of using gensync.

Thanks for the replies.

#5 2004-06-08 13:27:07

lanrat

If by unofficial repo you mean the extra repo you really need to read pacman manual. Wireless tools and wlan-ng are in the extra. You don't need to download them manually. Just make sure you have [extra] and at least one mirror below uncommented in /etc/pacman.conf then you can just pacman -Sy wireless_tools wlan-ng24 (or wlan-ng26 whichever version you want). Unless of course you need some other package versions from some really unofficial repo then they should work with pacman -A or pacman -U after downloading.

#6 2004-06-08 18:57:02

rayzorblayde

lanrat wrote:

If by unofficial repo you mean the extra repo you really need to read pacman manual. Wireless tools and wlan-ng are in the extra. You don't need to download them manually. Just make sure you have [extra] and at least one mirror below uncommented in /etc/pacman.conf then you can just pacman -Sy wireless_tools wlan-ng24 (or wlan-ng26 whichever version you want). Unless of course you need some other package versions from some really unofficial repo then they should work with pacman -A or pacman -U after downloading.

umm... if i could connect to the internet to get them straight thru pacman i wouldn't really need the wireless tools now would i? wink smile

edit: i downloaded thru windows, mounted the win partition, then copied them to linux partition.  that's the only way i can get them atm.

oh, and by unofficial, i meant the actual "unofficial" folder, not extra, unless the unofficial points to the extra folder?

edit2: i wasn't aware that the wireless and wlan stuff was in extra... i'll get those versions just in case the ones in unofficial aren't up to date or not 'good' versions.

#7 2004-06-08 19:03:50

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

extra used to be called unofficial. I believe they represent the same directory now.

Dusty

#8 2004-06-08 19:11:07

rayzorblayde

Dusty wrote:

extra used to be called unofficial. I believe they represent the same directory now.

Dusty

oh ok.... sorry, i've been out of the loop

#9 2004-06-08 19:44:14

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

rayzorblayde wrote:

oh ok.... sorry, i've been out of the loop

No problem. I think the change was before I joined. I remember seeing some front-page news on it when I first investigated Arch.

#10 2007-05-13 12:06:31

Kardell

Now is much easier, thanks Pacman 3, by

repo-add

ArchWiki is up-to-date.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cus … nd_gensync

"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." Edmund Burke

Board footer